Need advice for purchasing my first dslr

Meyeracing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone I am new to the site, and I have been reviewing dslrs for a little while. Looking for one that I can take pictures of my race car, take with me on vacation, and whatever and wherever else I bring it. I am no pro I'm a beginner so I want something easier to use that has a faster shutter speed for the car and fast picture taking. There are many brands out there but I mainly am looking into canon and nikon. Right now I'm leaning towards a t3i any info or advice on another camera would be great. More or less I'm looking for high quality pictures wherever there being taken but I don't want to break the bank on a $2000 camera. Thank you everyone and have a good day

Welcome to the forum!

Here is an article I was jut point towards. It helped!

Mac

Welcome. I'm also a beginner at photography.

Personally my first DSLR is the Nikon D3100 because of the Guide Mode which when you select what kind of photo you want to take will set the camera up to take the best picture accordingly. When you choose an Advanced shot it will also explain what settings to change and what it does so it "guides" you over time on how to tweak the settings for yourself to get the best shot. Excellent camera for a beginner.

As for cost my kit was under $600 bucks which came with the body and a basic lens. For about 200 bucks more you can get the better D3200 which also has the same Guide Mode function I believe. Just my 2 cents.

By the way...what is your budget as that will really help us help you.

Around $700 I would never sacrifice money for quality if I see something is better and cost a $100 more I would do it

this is one very good combo option for 700$, it really gives you a lot of options :
Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm VR + 55-200mm VR Lens with 16GB Card + Filters + Case + Accessory Kit: Camera & Photo

another option is to get these :
Amazon.com: Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo

first option is for more focal length if you like to shoot sports or distant targets. you got both the 18-55 & the 55-200 which is a popular combo.

Second option is if you don't find yourself shooting very much distant targets, and your more of a landscape, portraits, street kind of guy, the 35mm 1.8G is a very nice addon that will able you to shoot in very low light with no problem...thats good for evening events, resturants and indoor generally.

you got the same equivelent stuff by Canon with the T3i at more or less the same prices....i shoot Nikon but thats only my preference...if possible try both in the store and see whats better in your hands.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have a look at the Sony Alpha line. You want fast shutter speed then you're not going to find better. I think a t3i will do like 4fps while Sony's cheapest model will do 7. You get up to the a56 and a65 you're looking at 10 and 12 fps. Alphas also auto focus while shooting. But the fast fps is just a bonus. Alphas are great cameras in general.

Advice? Say it with me.... "Nnnnn-i-connnn".

Or, if you're Bri'ish, or an Aussie or Kiwi...."NICK-onnn."

Or if you are from the Orient....."Neee-cone".

Here are a couple of good options for your price range...

$740 Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens - Factory Refurbished with Nikon 55-300mm VR Lens + 16GB Card + (2) Filters + Accessory Kit Cameta Camera

$680 Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera & 18-55mm G VR DX AF-S Zoom Lens - Factory Refurbished with Tamron 70-300mm Di Zoom Lens + 16GB Card + Tripod + Case + 2 Filters + Accessory Kit Cameta Camera

Hello

I am new to all of this and just went through making a choice as well. I was very interested in the d5100 and I think there are some refurb deals in the price range you are looking for. Refurbished Nikon D5100 16.2 MP Digital SLR w/18-55mm DX VR -Refurbished by Nikon- #25478 B 25478 B

This was the best price I found, but it's not in stock - Used Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 25476B B&H Photo

I think how you buy somewhat depends on what lens you want to start with. So there will be some prices better with body only or others will be better if you want a body and a kit lens.

I wanted 3 lenses to start with and so far my favorite is this one Amazon.com: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras: NIKON: Camera & Photo

You may want to talk to some folks who regularly photo cars and see what they suggest.

I actually ended up going with the d3200, but I find that most folks here seem to recommend the d5100 over the d3200.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back