NEED ADVICE/HELP ON WRITING UP A CONTRACT

megamonroe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A local Cafe wants to use my photography in their Menus and I agreed but I need help on what to charge them and how to write up a contract because he wants the rights to use my pictures. Please help!!!! :)

There have been entire books, in fact their are entire university courses dedicated to this sort of thing. There's no way it can be answered in a few short forum posts, but, if you give us a little information with which to work, we may be able to guide you in the right direction, but if you're not comfortable or knowledgable in this area, you really should consult with a local lawyer.

First of all, where are you located? Contract law varies greatly by country (and even by province/state). How big is this cafe? How large and how many images do they want to use? Do they want exclusivity? How long do they want them for? Is this print only, or on-line as well?

As tirediron alludes to we need to know where you are, how many menus will be printed, how many images in each menu, image size, etc.

Basically what you want to sell is a use license that grants exclusive (or non-exclusive) usage rights to the cafe to use your images in their menu. Non-exclusive use means you can license the same photos to other users. Exclusive use costs more, and means you would not be able to license the photos to any other business, be it another cafe or a stock image agency.

If they want to use your images in any other way they would normally be charged more. It is also customary to charge a 'creative fee' for the time and talent you used to make the photos. Usage is an additional charge.
Their menu items are not likely to change for several years, so for those photos in their menus I would recommend a yearly usage fee that is a downward sliding scale

Obviously you cannot charge a hole-in-the-wall, mom and pop breakfast and lunch cafe as much as you can charge a stand alone, upscale, full service restaurant/bar.

Pricing Guides | American Society of Media Photographers

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back