Need Advice: Noise Issues on a Canon 7D

I'm wondering if she accidentally has turned on auto-bracketing, and her software is performing an auto-correct operation...that might very well be happening. Most people will have their RAW conversion software set to auto-adjust the RAWs, so...

I would suggest that she re-set the camera to all of its default settings, and start with a known, clean slate.

The 7D does have some auto exposure correction features but that should only be affecting JPEGs not the RAW files.

No, when I said auto correct, I'm thinking more about her processing software. I think she uses whatever the Canon raw converter is and then opens the file in (I *think*) PS Elements, not sure which version. I'm wondering if she is APPLYING auto-correct in PS Elements not realizing that affects exposure and possibly noise? But…she sent me two files that she said hadn't been processed at all, other than the raw conversion, so perhaps that's the wrong track.

I've shot thousands of photos with my 7D. The only time I get any noise is at high ISO levels, that is to say, above 3200. Often even that is correctable with Canon's DPP software which is all I ever use these days. FWIW here's how I shoot: I select manual, set my shutter speed appropriately depending on the lens (typically 1000 when I'm using the Sigma 50-500mm because it will usually be at 500mm), aperture is usually f8 or below and I allow the camera to select the ISO. I always shoot RAW and the camera is set to faithful. The 7D can be set so the ISO will not go above 3200. Also, I have the camera set to use the back focus button only. That can be very important in bird photography. If the camera is used thusly and it's still happening then clearly something is wrong with the camera or possibly the lens although that's doubtful. All the 400mm lenses I know of are pretty expensive and are of good quality. If her camera is set up like I described above and the problem is still present then I would recommend having someone with a 7D camera take a look at it or rent a 7D for a week and try to figure out what's going on. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back