Need advice on a ball-head please!

thed1ngo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am pretty much dead set on the Manfretto (aluminum leg) 055xprob tripod. I plan to use it mostly for night shots, landscapes and action (road racing) photography. I have read that this is a very sturdy tripod, but I am open to hearing personal reviews from members here on the board.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good ball-head to put on the tripod that will best fit my needs. I believe my "special needs" for a ball-head really fall in the category of doing the action photography. I am open to any and all recommendations.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a Giottos MH 7001 with a Giottos tripod, it was my first ball head. I used a Nikon F4s with a 70-300mm zoom for years but never liked the head. I mainly shoot sunsets, landscapes, and things that are stationary. I switched to a Monfrotto 804RC2 and love it. My biggest complaint with the ball head was leveling and never having the slot for vertical shots in the right place.

Thank you for your input!

A ball head on a monopod is pretty much worthless, and a tripod for action sport is not only worthless, but dangersous and often not allowed. Get a good ball head for the tripod and invest in a monpod for the action sports.

Indeed. That makes a lot of sense. I am still looking for a recommended ball head that would do well for night photography and landscapes. Thanks for your input.

This will do everything you need and last you a lifetime.
Link

Now work your way down till you hit your price range. FYI. I love my BH 55. It just doesn't get any better in a ball head.

I was just recently in the market for a tripod head and after hours and hours of reading specs, reviews and etc I've settled on Manfrotto 468MGRC2. Reasons being it's small, lighter than some other, holds more weight and doesn't vibrate and is very easy to operate. It was expensive but I was bying this kind of thing once in a lifetime so I wanted it to do everything. Plus this is one of very few ballheads within this price range that could do panning. It's the same as Arca Swiss stuff except for a lot less and with no compromises in quality.

Check it out Manfrotto 468MGRC2 Magnesium Hydrostatic Ballhead - 468MGRC2 B&H

Link

Now work your way down till you hit your price range. FYI. I love my BH 55. It just doesn't get any better in a ball head.

After a TON of reading and recommendations, I bought a BH 55. It's my first ball head. From what I've experienced so far, it'll be my last. This thing is just awesome. I honestly can't imagine anything being any better. If budget allows, I wholeheartedly recommend...

I can't really comment on the ballhead ordeal. I'm in the same boat as you there.

But, I do own the 055xProB legs. They're awesome. Sturdy as a rock. But, they're slightly heavy. That can be both good and bad, though. Good because they're very sturdy when set up. Bad because well..they're heavy. 'Nuff said. Another great thing (for us macro shooters, at least) is that after you remove the extender piece, the legs will go straight down to the ground. Literally, 0" off the ground, if need be. That's a huge plus for me.

Mark

Link

After a TON of reading and recommendations, I bought a BH 55. It's my first ball head. From what I've experienced so far, it'll be my last. This thing is just awesome. I honestly can't imagine anything being any better. If budget allows, I wholeheartedly recommend...

I really can't see a difference between mine and this, except DOUBLE the price. But the most important thing is that you absolutely love it. That matters more than anything else.

This will do everything you need and last you a lifetime. LinkNow work your way down till you hit your price range. FYI. I love my BH 55. It just doesn't get any better in a ball head.
I really can't see a difference between mine and this, except DOUBLE the price. But the most important thing is that you absolutely love it. That matters more than anything else.
You won't necessarily see the difference,however if you use the BH 55 you will notice the difference right away. It is that noticeable. I can mount a 400mm f2.8 on it with body attached and not get 1mm of creep when it is locked into place. It is expensive, but the versatility is worth it for me. Not to say it is for everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back