Need advice on buying a startup lens instead of default kit lens for Nikon D5100

waseq_81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to buy a Nikon D5100. It comes with a 18-55mm kit lens which I dont want to buy as I have read some reviews that this is not a very good lens. I want to buy a single lens now to cover my needs which are mainly portraits and landscapes. And I want to buy a moderately fast lens on budget. Please suggest me which would be the best choice on a budget?

The 18-55 kit is not a bad lens. One possible option to replace the kit is the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if your budget allows.

I am going to buy a Nikon D5100. It comes with a 18-55mm kit lens which I dont want to buy as I have read some reviews that this is not a very good lens. I want to buy a single lens now to cover my needs which are mainly portraits and landscapes. And I want to buy a moderately fast lens on budget. Please suggest me which would be the best choice on a budget?

A lot would depend on your budget and what you think you need for lowlight capabilities.

Why don't you experiment with the 18-55 and report what it's holding you back from? From what you described it's perfect: a moderately fast lens that can be used from portraits to landscapes. I happen to like it a lot. You can always sell yours if you feel that it's not doing what you want.

And there are no "budget" fast lenses except the Nikon 50mm f/1.8. Even third party f/2.8 zooms are at least around ~$500.

The 18-55 came with my d3200 and I think its a pretty good lens so like they said why don't you give it a try then if you don't like it you could always sell it

Available compatible lenses( within my budget) for Nikon at my place are:
1. Nikon 18-55mm VR
Nikon 18-105mm VR
Nikon 55-200mm VR
Nikon 55-300mm VR
Nikon 50mm 1.8D
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 35mm 1.8G
8. T
amron 70-300mm Macro
9. Tamron 18-200mm
10. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

It will be really helpful if you guys out there can help me to choose one between these. Although I dont think I will need upto 300mm for zoom purpose.
Thanks in advance.

There's a reason why it has been selected to be included with most cameras. It's light and versatile. You will know if you need faster, longer, or wider after playing with it but make that decision for yourself. Photography is subjective.

Available compatible lenses( within my budget) for Nikon at my place are: 1. Nikon 18-55mm VR 2. Nikon 18-105mm VR 3. Nikon 55-200mm VR 4. Nikon 55-300mm VR 5. Nikon 50mm 1.8D 6. Nikon 50mm 1.8G 7. Nikon 35mm 1.8G 8. Tamron 70-300mm Macro 9. Tamron 18-200mm 10. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 It will be really helpful if you guys out there can help me to choose one between these. Although I dont think I will need upto 300mm for zoom purpose. Thanks in advance.

This is like throwing a dart blindfolded.

Just use the 18-55 and if you discover a limitation, go towards that.

Lol the kit lens you mention fits your needs perfectly. 18 for landscapes and 55 for portraits.

Kit lenses have a bad rep. Most of the time it's given by people who think that owning expensive gear will make them better photographers when it clearly doesn't. In reality kit lenses today are as good if not better than pro lenses from 30 years ago.

But the lens, learn it and learn your camera THEN buy something more expensive.

Available compatible lenses( within my budget) for Nikon at my place are:
1. Nikon 18-55mm VR
Nikon 18-105mm VR
Nikon 55-200mm VR
Nikon 55-300mm VR
Nikon 50mm 1.8D
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 35mm 1.8G
8. T
amron 70-300mm Macro
9. Tamron 18-200mm
10. Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

It will be really helpful if you guys out there can help me to choose one between these. Although I dont think I will need upto 300mm for zoom purpose.
Thanks in advance.

Isn't #1 THE kit lens? Or does the 5100 not come with the VR?

I want to buy a single lens now to cover my needs

also the whole point of owning a DSLR is that you can swap lenses. if you never want to do that and no other factors matter then go for the 18-200.

totally. buy the 18-200 and be done with it.

Lol the kit lens you mention fits your needs perfectly. 18 for landscapes and 55 for portraits.

Kit lenses have a bad rep. Most of the time it's given by people who think that owning expensive gear will make them better photographers when it clearly doesn't. In reality kit lenses today are as good if not better than pro lenses from 30 years ago.

But the lens, learn it and learn your camera THEN buy something more expensive.
So true its the person behind the camera.
The 18-55mm is not a bad lens at all, it is a bit limited with its focal range but optically its ok and does the job well for beginners.
What I would maybe consider is the Nikon 18-105mm VR, it simply has a wider and more flexible focal range which will be more flexible for you.
I would not recommend the Nikon 18-200mm, all super zooms bring great flexibility but you pay with some image quality.

Nikon 18-55 mm is not a bad lense by any stretch of imagination. For the price it is an excellent lence.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back