Need advice on camera purchase

n00bsauce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please keep in mind that I am a total noob while considering flaming me.

Im looking to pick up photography as a hobby. I have always enjoyed taking photos with my ****ty camera and would like to go a step further. I was told that I should not waste my time with a film camera because digital cameras are just as good and much more efficient and easy to use. I like the sound of this, but dont know if its true. Anyway, I would really appreciate any advice on what type of camera to purchase. I mainly want to take landscape and if possible, stellar photos. Price isn't that big of a deal, but I would like to keep in under 2K. Please make some recommendations, film or digital. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.

This question (or some variation of it) gets asked several times a day. Try reading through THIS SECTION of the site and you will find plenty of good info.

I started out with a Nikon d3000 and am now looking to upgrade to a Canon T2i, Nikon was a very good starting camera, i would tell you you should watch some reviews of different cameras on youtube and see witch ones have features you need. works for me all the time. if money is no issue i would start with a higher end starter DSLR so that you dont have to upgrade until something much better comes.

I would go with digital. Nothing wrong with film, it is just easier to see instant results, delete photos on the fly, and not pay for film and developing as a beginner. I would almost recommend an inexpensive body contrary to the above statement, so you can invest in a nice lens, tripod, and any other necessary equipment. You will probably want to invest in a lens that can go wide since you are interested in landscape photography. What I mean by "wide" is a lens that can shoot in the 10mm - 30mm range. I am a beginner as well, so I may be providing you with inaccurate information, (keep that in mind) :lol: .

There are several excellent manufactures. I would start with a entry level D-SLR kit which will likely come with a lens. You will probably find Nikon or Canon are the most preferred brands by most professional photographers. Put your money into lenses as you learn as the lenses can be used throughout that manufactures camera lines (in most cases). The best camera body is no better than the lenses and the photographer.

Don't buy more software than what you need at this point.

Also, learn the differance between jpeg and RAW. As soon as you have your camera somewhat figured out, learn to shoot RAW.

Whatever you get, just remember that it's never (ok, it's RARELY) the camera's fault if you get a bad photo--it's the user's fault. Gotta learn its limitations and how to use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back