Need advice on DIY Lighting

bunny99123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am probably not in the correct forum, so someone can move me if need be.

I am on a zero budget right now, but I have a friend getting married in 2 weeks. I am doing this free of charge, and she is has seen my work, and happy with it. Additional she has no extra money for a photographer. Very small wedding.

Wedding is in a small church with brownish walls, and very little windows. Receiption area has paneling... grrrr

My question, can I put up two white sheets on either side of the wedding party or anyone and shine 2 painters lights towards the sheets at a distance and get more light and a softer glow or do I also need to add a light higher above pointing down towards them? Wish I had somewhere to practice, but my apartment is too small and no one to use right now.

Should I just use my flash? I have been spending my time studying and practicing, and I want this to turn out good for her. No were here to rent equipment. Any suggestions would help. I know I am out on a limb on this, so I just need help, please.

Wish it was outside...

I'm assuming we're talking about those big-ass tungsten lights you see builders use a lot?
I've used those several times, don't expect too much greatness there. They look like they create a lot of light but they're actually pretty darned dark compared to a decent flash.

I'd probably go with the flash.
If you know where they're going to be just skip ahead of them to the church and test a few shots.
You could try and point the flash at a white sheet like you suggested with the other lights to get some consistent lighting, might work if it's not too big a building.
Else you're going to have to use the flash on camera or get someone to carry it around for you.

what lens and camera body do you plan to use? You may not even need flash with a good lens.

flash would be best instead of the constant lighting though...and I doubt they'll let you hang up white sheets. Nice try at thinking outside the box though.

What kind of flash do you have?

Leave the lights at home you will not have time to set them up + they will not have enough power, they will be of no use at a wedding, Just do an editorial shoot with candids

If you don't already know, determine your camera's highest usable ISO (the highest ISO you can use and still produce a decent image). That, and your flash will be the way to go. Good luck!

a large aperture prime will do wonders in this situation.
actually...I think your the only one that wanted the minolta AF 50mm 1.7 i was giving away so...
seems like a good time to wrap that one up and send it to you in time for this little wedding thingy your doing.

actually...I think your the only one that wanted the minolta AF 50mm 1.7 i was giving away so...
seems like a good time to wrap that one up and send it to you in time for this little wedding thingy your doing.
That'll be just the ticket!!

pixmedic said:

What a bro!

If you don't already know, determine your camera's highest usable ISO (the highest ISO you can use and still produce a decent image). That, and your flash will be the way to go. Good luck!
Thanks. I will try practicing this week and see what the setting I can use or try adjusting the sutter speed.

You have just made one happy lady!!! I just saved enough for a 35mm, and got one, but I know the 50 will give me more leg room. To have some of her Bridal photos with the 50 mm would make us both happy. She loves the bokeh look, also. Thank you very much!

Thanks, for the info. I can't wait until I can afford lights, and decent backgrounds. My photography has made a lot of people happy, and it has made happy to help others. When, I retired from teaching my life was so empty, but photography is something I enjoy and can help others.

I am going to the church tomorrow, to try some practice shoots were the wedding will take place. Won't waste my time on the lights.

Thanks, for the info. I can't wait until I can afford lights, and decent backgrounds. My photography has made a lot of people happy, and it has made happy to help others. When, I retired from teaching my life was so empty, but photography is something I enjoy and can help others.

I am going to the church tomorrow, to try some practice shoots were the wedding will take place. Won't waste my time on the lights.
Excellent plan! Time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted! Also, take a moment to talk to the Deacon/Rector/Whomever and find out what he/she knows. They've seen lots of weddings, and can often tell you, "Oh yeah, no one ever stands >there< 'cause the light reflects of the mirror and ruins the shots" or similar stuff. Also make sure that church rules permit the use of camera and flash during the ceremony.

Went to the church today and checked it out. Thank goodness the paneling was is waste high, and the walls and ceiling was white. Took sample shots and they looks great without a flash. This is a laid back wedding. The only problem is that it is an old church...started out as one room then been added onto. Did not have one interesting posing site. The groom and bestman is getting ready in the nursery, were is there is butterflies and such painted all over the walls. I will have to get those sheets out. The room was about a 8x8 feet. I don't think I can get a full body shot in there. Brides area wasn't much bigger, except it did have white walls. I am going to have a learning curve on this one. Thank goodness is a friend, that is happy she has some one to take photos. Her wedding present.

Don't worry about the white sheets or the butterflies; those are things that they're going to look back on in 20 years and go... "Wow, I'd forgotten how small the church was, and remember those silly butterflies on the walls..." I think you're doing a great job of the prep work (the phase that wayyyyyyy too many people forget about entirely), but don't over-thinki it! ;)

Most reactions

Back