Need advice on equipment upgrade/etc.

Lilygirl4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been working with a photography company for a year now and have been using photography as a hobby for going on 10 years now, but only really for the past year have I played by the "manual" rule. In the spring my boss sold me a Nikon D70 that was no longer used in the business so I could practice now, and after having done many weddings now I feel confident that I can start doing some weddings on my own (not through the company I work for).

I know I need a flash and diffuser as well as some rechargable batteries and extra cards to start doing my own weddings. My only dillema is whether to get the brand name Nikon sb-600 or to go with a more generic, yet still highly recommended flash. I also was wondering whether I should go the extra mile and upgrade my camera, to a Nikon D80 or whether I should save and go for teh Nikon D300. We use D300's for weddings now and I know they rock, but have not used a D80. I don't have a lot of extra cash, so I'd have to save for something or if I decided to upgrade possibly sell my D70.

Should I get a flash now, a good one, or get a generic and save for the camera upgrade? My mind is swimming with ideas and I'm not sure where to go. I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks!

I've decided after much research to go ahead and get a Nikon sb-600. I found some on Amazon for a great price (sold through Amazon itself) and plan to get this soon. I would still like some advise on my camera upgrade.

Has anyone used a Nikon D80, and if so, what do you think? I am seriously considering this camera based on the fact that it uses SD cards, and they are much easier to come by at a much more reasonable price than the compact flash cards.

I've got a D80, It'll do for weddings no problem. SD cards are cheap, a couple of 4GB ones will do. I'd keep the D70 also as a second camera if you're doing weddings.

I'd definitely keep the D70 and buy a D80, rather than sell the D70 to get a D300. The 2nd camera is invaluable if you ask me - much more important than the features the D300 will give you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back