Need advice on mamiya 645 medium format film cameras

L

laurenvictoria

Hello,

im looking to buy a mamiya 645 used film camera specifically one of the older models. Now there are a bunch of different models and I was wondering if anyone had experience with them and has an idea which model would be the best buy. Looking to spend around 350.

As far as what i shoot. Mostly people but occasionally landscapes. I occasionally and plan on doing more shoots on location with models. i know the super gives you the option to preload backs which sounds like it would be nice especially since i like shooting at golden hour a lot so loading the film as fast as possible would be great but im not sure it its necessary. Also not sure i would want to spend the money on a separate back would rather save for another lens. Also really liking the 1000s. [h=1][/h]Any advice would be awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

im looking to buy a mamiya 645 used film camera specifically one of the older models.

The first generation of these cameras had 3 models: the original M645, the M645 1000S and the M645J. The 1000S had the most features and the "J" model had the least but all shared various accessories such as lenses, finders, film holders, etc. They are all good cameras and capable of shooting beautiful landscapes. You should be able to get an outfit with any of these models including one or two lenses for $350 or less. Make sure it is in good working condition before buying.

I have the M645 and 80mm lens ........got it at shopgoodwill.com for $125. I got real lucky on the bidding. It's been lots of fun to shoot with.

I'm a fan of the 1000S. The lenses are just fantastically sharp. Great cameras.

Agreed, the Mamiya glass is very good. I've got a later model - the 645 Pro TL. Haven't used the older models so I can't comment on them, but I would generally recommend them.

I have the 1000S and love it. It's fun to use, easy to load, and the Mamiya lenses I have are great quality. I simply have no complaints with this camera - it does the job and is a beautiful piece of equipment, to boot.

If you can snag one at a decent price, go for it! Like the one pictured above, I have the prism finder and it adds a little weight, but I prefer it.

I'd skip the oldies in favor of the newer Super/Pro/ProTL bodies. Too many age-related issues with the heavy metal versions whose repair is iffy now. Film backs are a huge advantage: shifting mid-roll between film types is no problem with the newer bodies but impossible with the insert-only early versions. Backs aren't wildly expensive. Keep in mind that these use 120/220 film inserts in a common back. You will see separate 120 inserts, so it's possible to get a cheap 220 back+insert+120 insert for less than a 120 back. Get a prism finder over a WLF--borderline useless for anything other than landscape-oriented shots. None of these cameras were easy to shoot handheld without a separate grip. The winder grips make a huge difference in the handling of the later bodies. I'd get the newest body you can afford. Take your time and don't be afraid to build up a kit from separate bits.

Yeah, I also say get the prism. The WLF on these things just... kinda sucks. It's a bit too small in my opinion. The prisms are fantastic, and while it's a bit ergonomically challenging, you get used to it.

Prism vs waist-level is really going to depend on your shooting style. I have a prism on the 645 but in general, I much prefer a waist-level for medium format and would like to get a waist-level for the 645. If you do plan on switching orientation frequently, then the waist-level is not practical for you. I personally tend to shoot almost exclusively in landscape orientation when using the 645, so for me, that "limitation" is not really a limitation. It depends on how each one suits you and the way you shoot.

As expensive as MF rollfilm has become, I really cannot imagine a 120 rollfilm SLR that does not offer fully interchangeable backs. Years ago, I went with the Bronica SQ-A and SQA-M (motorized, permanently) system, just so I could get backs that used inserts, and 120,220, and also 645 capability. 645 in landscape format is fine with a waist level finder, but as soon as you want to shoot "talls" while hand-holding the camera, OMG...you will definitely want a prism finder AND a grip!!! It is realllllly handy to be able to have your B&W film in two backs: one scheduled for "Minus development" for your contrasty lighting scenes, and the other back reserved for scenes that need "normal" development time. or, color negative and B&W negative. Or color neg and color transparency film. Whatever the permutations of back and film and developing, interchangeable backs are in some ways, worth more than a second lens is, especially at the start.

But then again, you might be perfectly happy with just ONE film type and ASA rating, and never,ever once need to do anything but finish each roll in its own time, and that's cool too. HAVE FUN with whatever you get!!!!

I have the Mamiya 645 and 645S with a few lenses and both the prism and waist level finders. My films are usually Arista for B&W and Kodak Ektar for color negative. There are some good prices on the big auction site for both C41 and E6 films now. The 'S' has a 1/1000 shutter speed, nice to have when shooting ISO 400 film. Try to get a package that includes a grip and at least the lugs for a camera strap. See if you can get either the 30 or 40 mm lens in the package, individually, they are high priced. The 80, 150 and 210 lenses can usually be found for reasonable prices. Film inserts can be found with plastic cases, I love having individual cases for the loaded inserts. The 220 film inserts can be converted to use 120 film, keep the little part and screws in case you get a good deal on some film. There is some risk getting into film, you could end up with something similar to this:
$DSC03128rs.jpg$DSC03129rs.jpg

I hope you get a great deal, and have fun.Phil

Gonna be frank with ya: I feel like that's pretty expensive. I could be wrong, though, but the ones I sold (they were set up nearly identically) were in similar condition and sold for just under $200, and I thought that was fair.

The 645 line has gone up since I bought mine. Looking at the two links, is the 1000S worth an extra $100?

Most reactions

Back