Need advice on new camera setup!

ferrah182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need advice on what camera/lens set up would be best for me! I will be shooting action (horse shows) both outdoors and indoors in indoor arenas, usually with poor lighting. Right now I have a Canon EOS that is about 7 years old or so, maybe older! I could buy better lens for it that would probably solve my problem, but at this cameras age it just doesn't seem as powerful as what is out there now. The lens I have now are the 58mm kit lens and a long lens that is 3.5f or something, I can't remember, this is all still pretty new to me. Anyway the picture it takes outdoors are quite good, even with fast action, its indoors where I struggle. I have done every adjustment I can think of, I just think the fact is my lens just isn't good enough for taking action photos in the indoor arenas.
So what I'm looking for is a camera and lens (or more than one lens) that can take these horse show action shots indoors and outdoors. I can't usually use a tripod at the these shows because you have to be able to move quickly to get the best photos. When shooting in indoor arenas sometimes I have to take the photos about 30 feet away in the stands. A camara that can also take good portraits is good too as I also do quite a few horse/owner pictures for my friends, though I suppose most decent cameras can do that! Anyway my budget is around $2000. If it is possible to spend less than that, I would be thrilled as obviously I'm interested in getting the best bang for my buck! Thank you all! I am very eager to learn!

58mm is the filter thread size, while "3.5f or something" is the maximum aperture: both are not the most important features of your lenses. Maybe before spending 2000$ is better to study the basics, if not it will be hard to just take good pictures even with a good camera.
Or, buy a Canon 7D + 70-200/2.8IS.

ferrah - your "slow" lenses are your problem. As enzodm suggests, if you don't know what that means, you need to read up on the effects of aperture and shutter speed on low light shooting. I recommend Understanding Exposure and Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second by Bryan Peterson.

That said, you probably don't have to spend $2000 on a new camera and lenses to overcome your challenge with low light. A fast $1299 Canon, $1190 Sigma or $770 Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 lens on your current camera should clear up your indoor arena shots.

See this post from photography-on-the-net to see what you can do indoors with an f/2.8 aperture lens.

For indoor portraits of your friends with their horses, I would get a $340 Canon 50mm f1.4. Great portrait lens, indoors and out.

My bottom line recommendation - sell your current lenses and buy faster glass.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Or, buy a Canon 7D + 70-200/2.8IS.
Why "or" ? He should probably do both.

Because in logics "or" is different from "xor" ;)
I personally would study first, before spending. Although the easiest choice is hoping that buying a lens is sufficient to take better pics.

Most reactions

Back