NEED ADVICE on PREGNANCY SHOOT

iRay808

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im going to do my first pregnancy shoot with my friend this upcoming weekend. ANY advice that can be given?

Most likely, it'll take place during mid-day. maybe at the beach or something...

THANKS IN ADVANCE :mrgreen:

Are you committed to shooting at mid-day? Yes, I know it's possible to get great beach shots then (as evidenced by any number of swimwear shoots), but I believe to handle the harsh light at that time you're looking at using some combination of diffusers/reflectors/additional lighting and enough stands or people to position them all.

I'd suggest shooting more toward the golden hour when the light is softer as befits a subject like a maternity shoot. If schedule permits you can also shoot when the sun is low enough to give some nice shadowing to emphasize the contour of the round belly. You can see a few example of such shadowing on my site. (Most of the maternity shots are impromptu/test shots of my wife - our daughter was a few weeks early, so my wife went into labor literally the day before we were going to do our real maternity shoot - but they illustrate the shadow point.)

As for the shoot itself, remember that pregnancy can be exhausting on its own. Take plenty of breaks so that the mom-to-be isn't over exerting herself and bring plenty of water or juice so she can stay hydrated. I'd also suggest taking shots with perhaps a greater variety of compositions than you otherwise might (shoot her from different angles, mix in wide - full body - shots with closeups). Some women are self conscious about how and where they put on weight during pregnancy. The more variety you have in your shots the greater the likelihood that you'll end up with a bunch of shots which avoid body parts she doesn't like. But at the same time, even if you know she's not comfortable with body part X at the moment, get some that capture it (as flatteringly as you can). Many women will look back nostalgically at this period in their lives and want to remember the total experience...particularly if they've been able to lose that weight!

And finally, just like shooting with any model, discuss the shoot with her before hand to make sure you're on the same page. Getting her expectations as well as, frankly, how much skin she's comfortable showing, will help you get better suggestions here. We can say, "Oh, beach shoot - put her in a bikini top and a sarong," but if she's only comfortable showing a little bit of the belly you're better off with jeans and a button-down.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back