Need advice on this umbrella kit

kami

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm basically a beginner with off camera lighting and would like to expand my learning. I basically have been using bounce flash (SB-600) and a Gary Fong diffuser for the past 8 months since I started getting an interest in photography.

For now, I'm only doing home portraits of my family, friends, and some occasional outdoor shots as well. But I'd like to focus more on improving my portrait shots.

I am already satisfied with my pictures thus far but I'd like to learn more. I was looking at this kit below:

Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

After reading all the 88 reviews it seems like a pretty good one. The only draw backs I've read was that:

1. You cannot adjust the angle of the umbrella, only the flash
2. you can't always get your strobe flash to hit dead center of the umbrella.
3. Something wrong with the way mounting shoe fits.

Other than that, it seems like a decent, cost worthy purchase.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure that kit is fine.

Just to confirm, are you planning to get anther flash unit as well? That kit is only the stands, brackets and umbrellas...no lights.

I'm sure that kit is fine.

Just to confirm, are you planning to get anther flash unit as well? That kit is only the stands, brackets and umbrellas...no lights.

Yes, I'm ordering another SB600 with whatever I decide to purchase.

I'm basically a beginner with off camera lighting and would like to expand my learning. I basically have been using bounce flash (SB-600) and a Gary Fong diffuser for the past 8 months since I started getting an interest in photography.

For now, I'm only doing home portraits of my family, friends, and some occasional outdoor shots as well. But I'd like to focus more on improving my portrait shots.

I am already satisfied with my pictures thus far but I'd like to learn more. I was looking at this kit below:

Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

After reading all the 88 reviews it seems like a pretty good one. The only draw backs I've read was that:

Yes you can. For some unknown reason I have never bought a umbrella bracket that was not packed upside down from the factory. The flash mount goes on the end that holds the umbrella that way they adjust together.

2. you can't always get your strobe flash to hit dead center of the umbrella.
True sometimes but a lot of flash units have a 7 degree down angle setting that will take care of this problem

3. Something wrong with the way mounting shoe fits.
See the answer to #1. If it is packed wrong at the factory and you don't set it up right it don't work right.

Other than that, it seems like a decent, cost worthy purchase.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Check out the Strobist site if you haven't already. I have umbrellas, but find I use softboxes a lot more then umbrellas.

Hey gryphonslair..... any thoughts on something like a Morris softbox for the flash units like found in this article?

Check out the Strobist site if you haven't already. I have umbrellas, but find I use softboxes a lot more then umbrellas.

Yah, I've been frequenting the strobist site a lot. But I want to learn 1 thing at a time. So I decided on trying umbrellas first, I also need an extra flash as well anyway to light up some dark areas of the house when needed due to it's irregular design.

I have yet to master my D80 to it's full potential, so for now I'm taking 1 step at a time.

Yes you can. For some unknown reason I have never bought a umbrella bracket that was not packed upside down from the factory. The flash mount goes on the end that holds the umbrella that way they adjust together.
Have the handle that adjusts the angle of the bracket (knuckle) on the right hand side as you are looking at the back of the flash. Slip the umbrella shaft in the hole with thumbscrew...... but not too far because you want to diffuse as much as possible.

sb-mounting-bracket.jpg

Also note the electrical tape added to the shoe mount.

Hope this helps.​

Hey gryphonslair..... any thoughts on something like a Morris softbox for the flash units like found in this article?

I haven't used the Morris softbox. What I picked up for my 580's and 383's were a couple of these. Amvona 720 imagine, discover, connect.

They have decent construction were reasonably priced and I have been quite satisfied.

I picked up a couple of brackets LiteDome xs Accessory Hardware / Adjustable Shoe Mount to mount them with. These might be another consideration. http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/LiteDome_xs/index.html

Most reactions

Back