Need advice on upgrading lens

TPhilli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to choose a new zoom lens for my Canon T3i. Right now I just have the zoom that came with the camera bundle I bought and it works but want to upgrade. I am looking at the

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens VS. the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens

Of course the price for the Lens with IS is double the one without. My question is, will the IS make that much difference? I am a novice but enjoy capturing quality pictures. will I see the value in going the extra mile for the IS or can I do without it?

Thanks

Stabilization on a 200mm is definitely a benefit, but it only helps with camera movement, not subject movement, so while it will help you capture slow or stationary subjects in dim light, it won't do much for fast-moving subjects. Whether it is useful to you really depends on the shooting you do, but if it were in my budget, I would opt for it.

Stabilization on a 200mm is definitely a benefit, but it only helps with camera movement, not subject movement, so while it will help you capture slow or stationary subjects in dim light, it won't do much for fast-moving subjects. Whether it is useful to you really depends on the shooting you do, but if it were in my budget, I would opt for it.

Incidentally, I'd love to hear IS vs. non-IS experiences for panning shots. It seems I almost always wind up using my 70-300 for panning shots, and this lens has a separate IS mode just for panning, which I try to always turn on for these shots. I suppose if I were really ambitious, I could try testing with IS on or off, but I'm afraid my tests might not be conclusive since so much depends on technique (and a little luck) when panning.

Sigma's 100-300 f/4, for instance, looks like a really interesting alternative to the 70-200 f/4, but I'm frankly a little nervous about giving up IS on a long lens.

Most reactions

Back