need advice on UV filters !!

homebrew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am just switching into digital photography with a new DSLR. I have had SLRs before and only bought "basic" filters. I don't know if this is relatively new or what --- but I did not realize there is such a wide range of UV filters available.

My lens is 77mm. I wish to get a UV filter first to protect the lens. Here are my questions:

1. Any advice on makers/brands? Tiffen? B+W? Hoya? Hassleblad?
2. What do I look for?
Multi-layer?
UV + IR?
3. Will the filter reduce the amount of light into the camera? Some expensive ones advertise that they do not -- but do the less expensive filters actually reduce f-stop?

Thanks to all!

A UV filter should not block a noticeable about of visible light. I'm not entirely sure but I think that the 'better' ones (more expensive) have more/better coatings to reduce flare. The downside of using a UV filters is that you are adding another piece of glass right in front of the lens, which does increase the chance of flare.

Since we're talking filters here, what would you use UV or just clear protective? Currently I'm using a Hoya pro1 digital MC clear protective for one lens and a hoya pro1 digital cir-pol for the other.

You can not really do wrong if you choose from the brands you listed. And buy the most expensive filter from the brand. Example, in Hoya there are 3-4 different types. Buy the most expesive one (SHMC I think), what sill costs about 40€.

Well the UV filter is just a filter. It block UV light. People rarely use it unless in snow or at the beach. The only reason eveyone has one is to protect the lens. I go for the cheapest. If I take a picture and notice flaring is an issue I remove the filter and re-shoot, problem solved.

Since we're talking filters here, what would you use UV or just clear protective?

Same thing. UV filters are clear optical glass. All glass filters a little UV. The filter filters very little of it compared to your lens. Calling it a UV filter is simply marketing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back