NEED ADVICE RE WIDE ANGLE LENS(ES) FOR NIKON N90 & D60 - 4 BDAY GIFT ON FRIDAY!

nicolemedina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My daughter's bday is Friday and she wants a wide angle lens for her camera(s). I bought her the nikon D60 but then she enrolled in a class and needed a film camera so I got her the Nikon N90. This is my dilemma...is there a lens that would work for both cameras? My initial thought is "No". But, thought maybe you photo gurus might be able to shed some light for a layman like me. Second part of question is...if there is no wide angle lens that works for both cameras, which one should i get her 1st, one for the N90 or for the D60, and which one is a good and economical choice. Last part of question, can you recommend a good reasonable lens for each of the N90 and D60 and where would I find a great deal? FYI - a guy at Wolf Camera told me to get the 10-24 Tamron for the digital or the 24-70 for the film. My initial research showed the 10-24 Tamron around $500 and the 24-70 over $1,000. Thats way too much for me. Help please!!!

Just get her a 50mm 1.8 :)

Apparently, that Tamron is quite soft, even on a 6MP camera...for another $70, this might be the lens for her. Read this review, which is written for regular people, and pay note to what he says about using it with a full-frame camera!

Tokina 11-16mm

MOST of the affordable wide-angle lenses for film are expensive; "most" wide-angle lenses for Nikon's APS-C cameras like the D60 and D90 are not really meant for use on film cameras. If you have to choose one lens, I would make the one lens be one optimized for DIGITAL; film pictures end up costing quite a bit per shot, and most people will shoot many more captures on digital than they will on film, due to a multitude of factors.

50mm will be fine for the N90, maybe a little tight for the D60 for someone wanting a wide angle, what do others here think ???

How "wide" do you want to go, without getting too expensive? Obviously having one lens that will work on both cameras would be better, economically speaking. But - the problem with that is the D60. It will only AF with AF-S lenses, which won't be much good on the N90.

I don't see HOW you will get any one lens to AF on both cameras. You will have to manually focus one or the other. The N90 will AF with more lenses than will the D60. N90 is a nice camera, maybe trade the D60 for a nice used D70 so any lens you get will AF on both cameras?

What about one of the Tamron or Sigma 17mm (or so) to 50-70mm (or so), maybe other than an f/2.8?

Maybe find an inexpensive 24-120mm AF-D "Streetsweeper"

Or a Nikon AF 28-80mm "G" lens, if that is wide enough?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Apparently, that Tamron is quite soft, even on a 6MP camera...for another $70, this might be the lens for her. Read this review, which is written for regular people, and pay note to what he says about using it with a full-frame camera!

Tokina 11-16mm

I agree!! As long as she doesn't mind manual focus. I love my auto focus.

And I'll go so crazy if my parents got me that.. I buy my gear myself lol.:er:

Last edited:
A few questions. What is your budget. How much are you going to spend.
The dilemma you will run into is that a lens made for the d60 is not going to work well on the Film camera.
The D60 is a crop sensor. The d60 also does not have the motor built into the camera so many lenses such as
the 50 f/1.8 will not focus but will have to be focused manualy. Dose it matter if it is a manual focus lens?
Sadly the d60 will not be able to Auto Focus on the Tokina 11-16.....
What lenses does she currently own?
You are in a tough spot for what you are looking for....

You don't "need" to focus an 11-16mm lens....set it at 1 meter or 2 meters and the focus will take care of itself. If the subject is anywhere from 7 to 10 feet, set it at 10 feet. Zone focusing is accurate enough on 11 to 16mm lenses...you can estimate it quite easily. Don;t worry about a lens for the D60--before you know it, she'll have a better Nikon that can focus ANY AF lens in F-mount. Don't let the limitations of an entry-level body enter into lens buying decisions. If you really "need" a lens for an N90 and a D60, you need to make a compromise.

You don't "need" to focus an 11-16mm lens....set it at 1 meter or 2 meters and the focus will take care of itself. If the subject is anywhere from 7 to 10 feet, set it at 10 feet. Zone focusing is accurate enough on 11 to 16mm lenses...you can estimate it quite easily. Don;t worry about a lens for the D60--before you know it, she'll have a better Nikon that can focus ANY AF lens in F-mount. Don't let the limitations of an entry-level body enter into lens buying decisions. If you really "need" a lens for an N90 and a D60, you need to make a compromise.

^^^+1 good point made

Thanks for all the replies, but it all sounds so confusing. I know NOTHING about these things. Would someone mind summarizing the responses for me and just giving me the name of the lens I should get her?? Pleasssssssse. What she wants is the best wide angle she can get. I don't think she will mind manual focusing on the digital since she is primarily working with the N90 now in school. I can spend up to $300 but i would want it to be a great deal (like a much more expensive lens that I would pick up for a steal of a deal). You all are really awesome for taking the time to respond and help me. Good karma coming your way!

Thanks for all the replies, but it all sounds so confusing. I know NOTHING about these things. Would someone mind summarizing the responses for me and just giving me the name of the lens I should get her?? Pleasssssssse. What she wants is the best wide angle she can get. I don't think she will mind manual focusing on the digital since she is primarily working with the N90 now in school. I can spend up to $300 but i would want it to be a great deal (like a much more expensive lens that I would pick up for a steal of a deal). You all are really awesome for taking the time to respond and help me. Good karma coming your way!

PM sent..............

I can't believe the guy at Wolf suggested those options, i doubt that his store even HAD them. He should have known most people with a D60 can't afford a $2000 24-70 (that's why they're shooting a D60), and the Tamron 10-24 is garbage, just like their 11-18.

Agreed with what was said above for the 50mm, you can get the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S, it's about $500, but will autofocus on both cameras and if she likes to take pictures of people, the lens won't come off the camera.

Otherwise, the only wide angle option that will work on both cameras is the Sigma 12-24. It covers film, and is still super wide for digital, but optically isn't super.

I can't believe the guy at Wolf suggested those options, i doubt that his store even HAD them. He should have known most people with a D60 can't afford a $2000 24-70 (that's why they're shooting a D60), and the Tamron 10-24 is garbage, just like their 11-18.
Drrrr... Um.... TAMRON....... lol He just said the first lens that popped into his head and though....mmmm commission. Although it is not dumb... I always do a double take when I see a insanley expensive lens on a inexpensive camera. Im like hmmm.. but hey good glass is still good glass. And like most good glass.... It will last. Unless you get a Canon...Then they change the mount type and you cannot use it... lol J/K
Please for the love of God do not go to war over this comment..... hehe
Drrrr....um..... NIKON!

It's ok, I work at ritz, so i can say things like that :p

Most reactions

Back