Need advice regarding my lens

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Few weeks ago I bought an old Nikon lens 70-210mm
At first look I was super happy with it especially when the lens was on its low setting (70mm). The pictures that it produced were crystal clear but once I raised the focal length the picture became soft.
If the picture wouldn't be good on its 70mm setting I would think the lens needs some fine tuning but since it does give me good picture in certain setting it leaves me thinking either this is how the lens is designed or something is wrong with the lens.

What would you do ?

Take the lens to Nikon service or sell the lens ?

The whole lens cost me around 80$ so I am not overly worried about the money invested in the lens but the question if I should pore more money in the lens or just move on to a better lens ?
Need to add that except the softness the lens answer all my needs.

What aperture are you shooting at? That has a LOT to do with sharpness.

What aperture are you shooting at? That has a LOT to do with sharpness.

I know, various aperture numbers, didn't see any serious change, the real change was only when I zoomed out of 70mm

Which Nikon 70-210 mm zoom do you have? The constant aperture f/4, or one of the variable aperture f/4-5.6 versions?
The f/4 was made for only 18 months, starting in 1986.

Zoom lenses, particularly older design zoom lenses, often have focus issues at various focal lengths in their zoom range.

It has gotten better as lens design and lens making computer software has improved.

Which Nikon 70-210 mm zoom do you have? The constant aperture f/4, or one of the variable aperture f/4-5.6 versions?
The f/4 was made for only 18 months, starting in 1986.

Zoom lenses, particularly older design zoom lenses, often have focus issues at various focal lengths in their zoom range.

It has gotten better as lens design and lens making computer software has improved.

You really do know your lenses, its the 4-5.6

post pictures.

DSC_3408_zps7494cd22.jpg

DSC_3407_zpsdffbe0a5.jpg

DSC_3374_zpsf9b625f6.jpg

DSC_3367_zps9bcbd9db.jpg

Most reactions

Back