Need Advice regarding which MILC to choose

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Noor_ar, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all !

I'm a beginner and new to this forum , and I've deiced to buy a MLIC as my first serious camera as they offer a good compromise between portability and quality IMO .. I am considering these 3 options :

1-Fujifilm X-M1 as it is selling for 550 USD here in Dubai with the Standard Kit lens + 50-230 telephoto lens
    2-Sony a6000 746 USD + for kit lens + 55-210 telephoto from B&H
    3-Sonly A5100 656 USD for kit lens + 55-210 telephoto from B&H

As a beginner would the a5100 suffice or I'm better off shelling out the extra 100 USD for the EVF and hot shoe ?

The Fuji-film looks like a great deal, but I do care about auto-focus and low light performance , how does it compare to Sonys in that aspect ?

I am also open to other suggestions for an approx 600 USD budget MILC :)

Thanks !
    Noor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  2. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

I've used/owned a number of mirrorless but not a Sony. I've used Panasonics, Olympus and Fujis. My Fuji's are, without question, my most used cameras. I much prefer the Fuji X-Trans sensor over the sensor in my Oly EM1. I haven't used a X-M1, but it uses the same sensor as in my XP1, XE2, X100S and XT1. My Fuji's deliver exceptional low light performance. I don't know about the autofocus of the Sony(s) but the second generation Fuji's focuses lightning fast (XE2/XT1), similar to the Oly EM-1. Shooting action with the Fuji's is still a bit problematic as the AF has a problem tracking, but it will maintain focus if you keep the moving subject in the focus reticle. (Again, this has been my experience with the XT1.) Fuji FX lenses are exceptional, equal to or better than my 'L' lenses that I use for my FF cameras.

Gary

Examples of low light performance:

XT1 w/ 55-200 @ 200mm, ISO 3200

[​IMG]
    f/4.8, 1/250

[​IMG]
    f/9, 1/250

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    People go about the process of selecting a camera to purchase, as my old Latin teacher would say, bass ackwards.

Before the digital age we had rule # 1: Lenses take photos, cameras hold film. So buy the lenses you want to work with and adjust to the film holder as needed.

It's a little more complicated today and the camera body features do matter more than they used to. But the lenses should not be an after thought.

Like Gary I now shoot with Fuji X series lenses and that means my sensor holder is a Fuji X series camera.

I decided to downsize after I retired from FF DSLRs to a smaller lighter camera system. That system for me was the Fuji X series lenses. I looked at the Sony lenses available and compared options -- not even a contest. Sony is making some exciting and interesting cameras right now, but not lenses. You can't take photos without lenses. Put a mediocre lens on the most awesome camera ever made and all you ever get is mediocre photos.

Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No one can really give you guidance on the 'best' mirror-less because so much depends on what you shoot, what you have as a budget and where you are going with cameras.
    If you are a 'beginner' with years ahead of you, it is really hard to make a bad choice now.
    and, to be honest, you aren't making a decision for the entire future. 500 or so dollars is a reasonable place to start.
    The best thing is to handle the cameras and find which one feels better for you and fills your needs best.

The idea that Sony is bad because there isn't a huge variety of lenses available makes sense only if Sony doesn't have what you want to use as a lens.
    People like to tout what they own because it reinforces their decisions and the cameras work well for them.
    But that doesn't mean, it will work for you.

I shot Nikon full frame for years, using the Nikon 24-70 90% of the time and all the other lenses I had (4 of them) the other ten percent.
    Then I switched to mirrorless, first the OMD 5 and a set of lenses that approximated what I had in the Nikon.
    There was one problem for me with the OMD - I shoot mostly street photography. That requires fast changes in EC, aperture or focal point and the ergonomics just wasn't right for me.
    Just lately I bought a Sony A7 II (a FF camera) with one lens - the Sony 24-70.

The much improved ergonomics means I will use that camera/lens for street shooting and using the OMD for situations where super ergonomics is not critical for me.

Seeing pictures shot with one specific camera lens does not mean anything about that camera and lens for you; it just means that the circumstances worked well for that photographer.
    I took good pictures with a D70 and an old 18-200 lens, but no one would recommend that combination to anyone now.

5. Gary A.

I can only assume you are making reference to my images ... For clarity sake, the images posted do show an example of high ISO capabilities of the same sensor which is employed in the camera the OP desired more information. It is great that you took pictures with a D70 and an old 18-200 lens, but that hasn't any reference to the OP.

[​IMG]
    XP1 w/ 55-200 @ 200mm, ISO 6400, f/4.8, 1/250

6. PropilotBW

PropilotBW Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    That is a great photo. What did your shutter speed end up being at that high of ISO?

7. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks all for your insights :)

As I will be using it as a travel camera ,I do care a lot about Autofocus performance and I want it to be "fast" i.e I don't want a slight shake to give me a blurry image in certain conditions .. Is this dictated by the camera (sensor etc) or is it the lens's aperture that matters most for speed ?

When handling the Sonys and the Fujifilm , the autofocus on the Sonys felt much more responsive .. but at that price point (550 USD with the telephoto) I am debating whether faster autofocus is worth shelling out 100-200 USD more.

Regarding lenses , I am planning to have a telephoto in the addition to the kit lens for now , and maybe a fast 35mm later.

8. Gary A.

Thank you.

1/250 ... I've added aperture and shutter speeds to the images.

9. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The only way you could get something this good on a Sony is to buy it from Zeiss: Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R: Digital Photography Review

Fuji is a lens maker, Sony is an electronics maker. Sony makes great electronics. Lenses take photographs.

Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gary A.

A high shutter speed is required to eliminate hand shake (or IS or a combo of shutter speed and IS). A fast aperture is helpful to attain a fast shutter speed without affecting ISO. Good luck on your choice.

11. PropilotBW

Photos OK to edit
    I think the a6000 is a great camera. It is one of the most popular entry level mirrorless cameras on the market and it is rated very highly as well.
    I would do some research on your three choices, but if you're down to a5000 versus the a6000, I'd choose the a6000.

Best camera under 1,000 dollars: Best mirrorless camera

12. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am really still a novice when it comes to photography , will the shutter speed of 1/4000 suffice on the Fuji X-M1 when combined with the right lens give me the results I expect ? , will the kit lens do ?

13. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Its the a5100 I am considering , it basically has the same sensor as the a6000 minus the evf and hotshoe (and a slower burst mode) , yea the EVF alone is worth the 100 USD diff !

14. PropilotBW

Photos OK to edit
    Here's a comparison between the two.

Sony A5100 vs A6000 - Our Analysis

15. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

yea and Zeiss lens are kind of expensive .. , I will consider the wider range of lens on the Fuji in my decision :)

• Agree Agree x 1