Need Advice regarding which MILC to choose

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Noor_ar, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Gary A.

Gary A. Been spending a lot of time on here!

1/4000 is way more than sufficient for hand shake. There is a rule of thumb for FF cameras of the reciprocal of the lens focal length is approximately the lowest shutter speed for hand holding. So a 500mm lens = a reciprocal shutter speed of 1/500, a 60mm lens = 1/60th, et cetera. With APS-C sensors multiply the lens focal length by 1.5 ... so a 500mm now become a 750mm lens for rule of thumb hand holding shutter speed or 1/750, et cetera.

2. sashbar

sashbar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your question tells me that you probably need a bit of reading on photography. A book like "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson would be an excellent investment for you.

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books

3. Noor_ar

Noor_ar TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So based on that both the Sonys and Fuji will do well in this aspect using a combination of a fast shutter speed and high ISO based on their fast maximum shutter speeds (1/4000) and high ISO sensitivities (25,600)? , a good lens will help collect more light and reduce dependence on noisier high ISO settings for a given exposure and shutter speed.

sashbar yes I am pretty much a novice and some reading will help :)

ProPilotBW , yes the a6000 is universally acclaimed in reviews and that's why I short-listed it..

4. cooltouch

cooltouch TPF Noob!

If you're leaning toward Sony, I would also recommend the A6000, for the reasons you first mentioned. There will be many times you'll be glad you have the EVF. And having a standard hot shoe makes things much easier when it comes time to mount a flash.

I own a Sony NEX 7, and the main reason why I bought it over the other NEX models was the EVF. Well, the 24.3mp also had something to do with it, but I knew I would need that EVF. Also, the main reason why I bought a MILC to begin with was so I could use my old legacy glass on a new digital. I have a rather large inventory of old Canon FD and Nikon and Pentax manual focus lenses that actually work very well on the NEX, especially with its focus peaking feature. So if you have some old glass, you might want to include that into your considerations as well.

5. Benjo255

Benjo255 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I switched from Nikon D90 to Fuji Xe2 and I don't regret at all. Fuji has a very performing Xtrans sensor and lenses are just...wow.

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been shooting for years and I don't think I have ever used 1/4000, my Leica's only go to 1/1000 never been a problem

7. sashbar

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My XT-1 has max shutter speed of 1/30,000 after the hardware upgrade, so I am just waiting for a bullet to fly by.

8. Gary A.

I agree that you can get by with only 1/1000 ... but if you have 1/2000, 1/4000, 1/8000 ... what the heck ... options can be very useful.

9. Gary A.

MILC's don't focus as well as dSLR's so you might want to prefocus with that one.

10. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not sure what my A7 goes up to must go and have a look

11. sashbar

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, if it flies at me, I have a chance my camera will trace it. Not that I will know it, which is a pity.