Need advice (tons of it)

RiderOnTheStorm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I've been thinking lately of taking my hobby to the next level. I just wanted too know whether it is a good idea or not to have a website with an online portfolio. I am currently unemployed so I will not be able to send much in hosting or designs, so I was considering deviant art. From what I have read you are able to sell your photographs and everything but is it a professional move? I mean, does it looks OK if I am intending to go on to the next level in the future?

Also I wanted to know where and what is the correct way to approach a "frame store, art gallery, magazine?"

and lastly do you think I would be able to start doing something at this level with my current equipment? I currently own a nikon d50 with two lenses, a 18mm to 55mm and a 70-210mm. I also have a tripod with a level and extra batteries.

I do realize that I need to get filters and maybe more lenses but I would like to know your honest opinion.

Thanks in advance! :)

and lastly do you think I would be able to start doing something at this level with my current equipment? I currently own a nikon d50 with two lenses, a 18mm to 55mm and a 70-210mm. I also have a tripod with a level and extra batteries.

I do realize that I need to get filters and maybe more lenses but I would like to know your honest opinion.

Thanks in advance! :)

If you are asking the answer is most likely probably not....

Your lenses are slow and you don't have enough of them..... Also looks like you only have one body! :(

Can be done but it's a tough business.

how can you tell the lenses are slow?

If you are asking the answer is most likely probably not....

Your lenses are slow and you don't have enough of them..... Also looks like you only have one body! :(

Can be done but it's a tough business.

what do you mean by slow?

what do you mean by slow?

"Slow" means the maximum aperture in not as wide (or bright) as other lenses in the same range of focal length.

I've been in business since '83, and I seldom shoot wide open.

But I think that's the least of your worries. There's a lot more work to do before relying on photography for an income.

Pete

"Slow" means the maximum aperture in not as wide (or bright) as other lenses in the same range of focal length.

I've been in business since '83, and I seldom shoot wide open.

But I think that's the least of your worries. There's a lot more work to do before relying on photography for an income.

Pete

thanks for clearing that up to me. so that would have to do more with my camera I guess.

I'm not intending to rely entirely on photography but some extra chash wouldn't hurt at this moment.

Thanks,
James

It doesnt hurt to try a little. You can use a site such as freewebs.com and then buy a .com for around $8 a year. Just start out shooting some friends for free and slowly build up references. A little lighting equipment wouldn't hurt either.

It doesnt hurt to try a little. You can use a site such as freewebs.com and then buy a .com for around $8 a year. Just start out shooting some friends for free and slowly build up references. A little lighting equipment wouldn't hurt either.

Sounds like a good idea.

What are some good inexpensive essentials?

You can find a cheapo sunpak or something ( never used them tho, just my canon 430ex so cant speak on their quality) flash and get sync cords, stands, and umbrellas to get the flash off camera. A reflector which can be a simple foam core board from staples is also good too. Practice is the best and most inexpensive essential tho :)

It will really vary depending on your price range and what inexpensive is to you tho. So some general idea about how much you are looking to spend will help people recommend the best bang for the buck.

Oh and if you take a look at my website (link in sig) it was made with free webs and I use godaddy for my .com

If I was in your shoes. I would first head to some websites and learn a little more about what type of lens will work with the photos you are planning on shooting. Study up aperture and what it can do for you. Just a little bit of advice.

i find reading lots and lots of books to be pretty helpful, you can learn a tonne of information just by picking up a book. Go down to your library and have a quick look

thanks for clearing that up to me. so that would have to do more with my camera I guess.

I'm not intending to rely entirely on photography but some extra chash wouldn't hurt at this moment.

Thanks,
James

The speed of a lens has nothing to do with the camera. It's all to do with the aperture of the lens itself.

The lens aperture is the size of the opening on the lens. The aperture therefore relates to the focal length and the size of the opening as they are directly related.

Smaller apertures like f3.5-4.5 on standard zooms mean smallish cheaper lenses. Look at the price therefore of the 24-70 f2.8L. The f2.8 large aperture is great as it can be used in pretty low light and still maintain a decent shutter speed. Cheaper lenses will be around 2 stops slower at 70mm (that is 4x less shutter speed)!

The speed of a lens has nothing to do with the camera. It's all to do with the aperture of the lens itself.

The lens aperture is the size of the opening on the lens. The aperture therefore relates to the focal length and the size of the opening as they are directly related.

Smaller apertures like f3.5-4.5 on standard zooms mean smallish cheaper lenses. Look at the price therefore of the 24-70 f2.8L. The f2.8 large aperture is great as it can be used in pretty low light and still maintain a decent shutter speed. Cheaper lenses will be around 2 stops slower at 70mm (that is 4x less shutter speed)!
Um..... The maximum aperture is what is meant by the speed of the lens.

Um..... The maximum aperture is what is meant by the speed of the lens.

Isn't that what you took from words? (edit maybe I wasn't as clear as i thought! yes max apertures) :)

If the maximum aperture is a larger fnumber like f4-5.6 (a small opening) or the like, this is generally a slow lens

If the maximum aperture is a smaller fnumber like f2.8 and lower this is a large opening and is generally considered a fast lens.

Primes represent good value for speed and quality. Fast zooms are expensive. Look at the price of the 50mm lenses (f1.8 and f1.4)

If you're unemployed, then you don't have a lot of money, but you have something else very valuable: time. You're actually pretty lucky, because you can devote a lot of time to shooting, building a portfolio, and learning more about photography.

I don't see why you can't approach galleries and magazines, etc with your current equipment. They won't care what you shoot with, only what the finished product looks like. Also, the secret to submitting to galleries and magazines is professionalism and mastering the process. Find out what their submission policies are and follow them to the letter. Generally galleries want images "ready to hang." If you don't know what that means, do the research!

Run some google searches for zine photography submissions. If you have a local literary magazine, find out if they print photography. Do you frequent any coffee shops, cafes, or pubs that hang art?

You might not make a fortune, but it's a great feeling to have your work on display.

Most reactions

Back