Need Advice

clarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got these Lens and the sunpak flash at a really cheap price, but they are older models, all manual I think!...but they work on my Nikon d3100. I'm new to all this DSLR stuff so I tried them out and I know I'm just not ready to deal with all manual lens. I like the flash I think I can handle it, lol. So if you were me would you sell these and get other stuff or what? And are they worth selling? would anyone want to buy them? Or do you think that I should hold on to them?

The Lens are:
nikon nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 That is the little one in the pic
sigma zoom AF-A 1:3.5-4.5 f:35-135mm for nikon
sigma zoom-? 1:4~5 f=75~250mm for nikon

and then the Sunpak auto 433 D thyristor flash.

Thanks if you have any subjestion on what I should do.

DSC_1374 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Definitely keep the 50mm. You can search ebay to see if people are selling the sigmas but you are not going to get a bunch of money for them. I would keep the zooms too. If you don't use any of them in a year, get rid of them.

Keep them all as stated above the old primes are great. Why would you not be ready for MF?

Some of the older flashes have very high trigger voltages that can ruin modern digital camera circuits. The best I can tell the Sunpak Auto 433 is not among them however I did not do a thorough search. Before I used it on my camera I would do a LOT more investigation or try and find someone who has successfully used one.

I've only had my dslr a month and a half. I"ve gotten books I'm reading trying to learn. I've taken a couple pictures with each one and didn't do so good :( Except the 50mm I did get a decent one from it.... I can handle the camera's manual almost, but then add the lens to it, grr I'm just not ready for them.
So they are decent lens? I only gave 10.00 dollars for the group, :) So I guess the verdit is in, I'll hold for now :) And try them again some time in the future. Unless someone wants to buy them :) Thanks

Thanks for the info SCraig, Do you know where I might find some information about it?

Thanks for the info SCraig, Do you know where I might find some information about it?

Google "Strobe Trigger Voltage" and you'll get a lot of hits. This Is The Page I usually refer to however they didn't list that EXACT strobe unit, only some close to the same name and I don't know if "Close" is close enough or not. Probably so but then I'm pretty cautious when it comes to things like that.

I get the impression the Nikon lenses in that photo are E-series lenses. - Nikon Series E lenses

It notes in all Nikon DSLR User's Manuals that the hot shoe can handle up to +250 volts, but cannot handle any negative (-) voltages.
Of course, Nikon recommends only using Nikon flash units.

I got these Lens and the sunpak flash at a really cheap price, but they are older models, all manual I think!...but they work on my Nikon d3100. I'm new to all this DSLR stuff so I tried them out and I know I'm just not ready to deal with all manual lens. I like the flash I think I can handle it, lol. So if you were me would you sell these and get other stuff or what? And are they worth selling? would anyone want to buy them? Or do you think that I should hold on to them?

The Lens are:
nikon nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 That is the little one in the pic
sigma zoom AF-A 1:3.5-4.5 f:35-135mm for nikon
sigma zoom-? 1:4~5 f=75~250mm for nikon

and then the Sunpak auto 433 D thyristor flash.

Thanks if you have any subjestion on what I should do.

DSC_1374 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

First off, you don't need a hotshoe flash if you're new to DSLR, unless you plan on shooting indoors in low-light and/or outdoor in fairly bright sun. And if you do get a flash, make sure it's TTL compatible with your D3100.

You don't need the Sigma 75-250mm, or the Sigma 35-135mm.

You could just buy the 18-200mm DX (roughly $500-600) or go with your kit lens and if you want a prime, get the Nikon 35mm 1.8G DX (about $200).

Don't have more than 2-3 lenses if you're shooting DX in the first year, or until you learn enough about DSLR to make smart purchases later on. It's better to have only the lens you need and have extra money ready to be used, than to buy all the lenses you think you need, or want to use. You only have 1 camera body, so keep it 2-3 lenses total.

ALSO note that your DSLR is cropped frame, meaning any focal length on lenses will be multiplied by 1.5 (a 20mm lens on your D3100 is actually 30mm; a 50mm lens on your D3100 is actually 75mm)

Thanks everyone fpr your advice, I have decided to sell them, If I can find any takers, but I'm gonna keep the 52mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back