Need advice...

303villain

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok so i searched, and read several threads people have posted about being curious in regards to careers in photography,but none of them really helped. i am at a point in my life when i have come to a conclusion. i have been doing what my parenst want, not what i want. im currently going to school and majoring in human services(to become a youth conselor or caseworker),and while that would be a fantastic career(although not a high paying one), its not what i MYSELF want to do. i have begun considering transferring to the art institute of colorado and getting a BA in photography. my parents are not supporting me in this at all, because they think i will have no career/future. i am considering studying photojournalism or something along those lines. is there any way to make a living in this field? or is there anyway i can approach my parents and try to get them to be more helpful in my endeavor?

details on AIC's programis here:
http://www.aic.artinstitutes.edu/programdegrees.asp?pid=18&dtid=6

You can make a living in ANY field of study. The question, is how good a living are you talking about? If you have the interest and drive, have any natural artistic talents at all, you can make a good living in photography. Expect to have a period of slim pick'ins at first and plan on having to work hard, maybe a second job at first. With drive and determination, in this country, anyone can make it and make it well.

Good advice from John above. I would add that many photographers have got where they are by learning from another "pro" as an assistant. This can be a great two-way street as the photographer gets a relatively cheap but useful assistant and the assistant gets to follow in the master's footsteps.

Although not everyone's idea of a good thing, wedding photography is an area where you are almost guaranteed to make reasonable money. Also, the market for school "senior" pictures is very lucrative, but you need to be well connected with the PTA or church to blag those decent numbers.

There's something for everyone in photography, from the excitement and danger of front-line journalism to classifying and archiving images in a dungeon. A degree is never a waste of time, as regardless of the arena it demonstrates your sticktoitiveness.

Rob

thanks guys! i am not expecting to be making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year, but enough so i can keep the bills paid and be self sufficient. right now is the first time ive lived away from home(live in a dorm, pay my own rent everymonth), and ive learned quite a bit about what it takes to survive, but i am not paying for everything,my rents still cover my insurance so im lucking out. i think im going to try and schedule an appointment with an advisor there and try to get her down there to check it out. perhaps that will help.

Most reactions

Back