Need Advice

LittleRedDor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Aunt was a professional photographer and she passed in January and she's always had a soft spot for me. She left me a few cameras because she said "your time in Iraq and Afghanistan has left you passionless." So she left me several items in her will out of her 20 odd cameras. Well to be honest I don't take very many pictures and when I do want to snap a shot my note 3 does a great job. So my first inclination is to sell the 2 really expensive cameras and keep the point and shoot because that's about all my brain can wrap around. So bottom line, I need help figuring out what I have, how much it's worth, and how is the best place to sell it. So I have a couple of questions.

Ok the first camera is a Nikon D3S and it has more buttons and doodads than a battleship. I only know how to turn it on and press the shutter button. The camera is in pristine condition and I've seen them on amazon for between 2k and 2,500. It did not come with any cables or cords so I don't know how to charge it, but it did come with a 2 battery charger that I was able to figure out how to remove the battery and charge it with the holster. Shame there was only the one battery. But I was able to charge it fully and confirm that it works.

It only came with one lens - a Nikon ED AF-S VR - NIKKOR 70-200MM 1:2 8G. I've also seen these lenses online for between 2,000 and 2,500 and I think it's in pristine condition as well.

It all came in a ThinkTank Digital Holster 40 which seems made for the camera / lens combo, and inside looks to be some poncho thing. All in all I think it's a great setup for a professional, I just have no use for it and want to sell it. I loath pawn shops and their business practices and I don't use ebay on principle. I'm not really hurting for cash so a slow sell is ok, I'm not trying to get rid of it soon. Hell , maybe one day I'll open it up and discover the "passion" my aunt mentioned. Theres also what looks to be a quality tripod and monopod?

So for now What I would like to know is how much I could expect to get for this set, and what would be the preferred method of sale. Obviously I want the most money for the gear so a private sale would be best, but I was also thinking a photo shop (do those even exist anymore?). Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated. $IMG_4943.JPG$IMG_4944.JPG$IMG_4945.JPG$IMG_4946.JPG$IMG_4947.JPG

Well, this may be out of line, but.......
I think that selling the camera would be horribly disrespectful to your Aunt. (Now if you are starving and eating bologna it may be different). But this is a super nice camera, and even it you only ever use it in Auto mode, think of the family memories that you can create.

Photography may not be now, or never, your thing. But everyone takes pictures.

Well, this may be out of line, but.......
I think that selling the camera would be horribly disrespectful to your Aunt. (Now if you are starving and eating bologna it may be different). But this is a super nice camera, and even it you only ever use it in Auto mode, think of the family memories that you can create.

Photography may not be now, or never, your thing. But everyone takes pictures.

Naw, she knew I'd sell at least 1 of them. The other one I think is even nicer but I left it at home today. I will link it in this thread when I get hoe and you guys can tell me which ones you would keep and which ones you would sell. Honestly since the modern smartphone camera came out I've literally taken a dozen pictures. I'm just not that sentimental of a person. I can appreciate a beautiful picture, and I can certainly appreciate the intricate connotation and craftsmanship that goes into these cameras. But I have no need for a professional camera. She gave me 3, and one of them is a brand new in the box 14 mp point and shoot. I think I'll keep that one and maybe one of the nicer ones as well.

Well I don't know if she knew I'd sell one of them, but my mother told me after the will reading that I should use the cameras to do something for myself. My aunt was heavily insured and her children got all the money, and I'm not mad at that, I'm grateful she put me in her will. She also left me with a brand new macbook pro with all this picture and video editing software. This stuff is way over my head.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Read the manual or download one from Nikon and then read it with the camera in hand.

You don't need to use all of the bells and so on to take great photos.

That camera was made for sports, or being a PI if that's your thing. Find someone that has a kid in sports and go take pictures of kids having fun, they are infectious in a good way.

Give your aunt's advice a try. If you are careful with the camera it won't hurt the value of the camera to use it a bit.

Here is a link to a site with some great tutorials for shooting along with some other things you might enjoy

Cambridge in Colour Forums

Good luck

There are TWO 70-200 2.8 VR lenses, btw. The one you have appears to be a VR1. (it has a shoe/bracket thingy on the bottom that is not removable) The VR2 has a removable shoe. The VR2 is the more expensive/newer one.

This is yours:
http://images.productwiki.com/upload/images/nikon_af_s_vr_zoom_nikkor_70_200mm_f_2_8g_if_ed.png

This is the VR2:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/70-200mm-vr-ii/D3S_9080-1200.jpg

Both the lens and that camera are wonderful pieces of equipment. Your Aunt handed you like $7,000ish or more worth of equipment (original retail cost, anyway). Many people would kill to have that kind of gear.

I can't make your choices for you, and I certainly understand not having an interest in the monster cameras and all the complexity, but have you considered maybe just going and taking one class with the equipment before you decide to sell it? Your aunt was trying to get you to find a passion. Maybe this isn't your thing, but a few months won't take much value off that gear, and you never know... you might love it.

Just a thought.

Maybe you'll never move beyond a Point-and-shoot...that's always possible. But you've been given an incredible opportunity here.

The Nikon D3s used to be THE standard for photojournalists around the planet. People who covered wars, or went out into the field to shoot demonstrations or earthquakes, or went in to arenas to shoot sports...that's the body they used. It's since been upgraded so it's no longer top of the line (there is better technology out there). But it's still a superb body for almost anything that is above water and outside the studio. It can shoot at a rapid FPS (frames per second) that allows you to capture movement in ways your point-and-shoot could never do. It has an effective ISO range that will allow you to shoot in low light that is impossible for any point-and-shoot.

Maybe photography will never be your thing. Or maybe it will be a door to help you move past your time deployed. I can't say. Here's something I once heard from a photojournalist who used to cover wars, suffers from PTSD, and now is retired as a photojournalist but shoots landscapes, abstracts, and art nudes: "I used to point my camera at ugly scenes and take pictures of obscene sights. Now I point my camera at things of beauty and create art. It keeps me sane."

Maybe your aunt was wrong. But give her perspective a chance. B/c if you're not a serious photographer now and don't have a serious kit assembled, you probably never will. Give it a try and see if anything stirs inside you.

And...thanks for your service.

I appreciate all your replies. My Aunt also left me a nikon D3000 which I really like because it's like the D3s but much easier to use. I think I'm going to keep that one as well as the powershot point and shoot and play around with the software she loaded on the laptop. But I've played and played with the D3s and it's just too much for me, even with the tri/ monopod she left me. I think keeping the 2 less expensive cameras would still accomplish her goal of sparking my interest in photography, but selling that monster of a camera is just too appealing. Anyway thanks for all the helpful hints.

Sounds to me like maybe your aunt's intent was for you to keep and use these - that would be my recommendation. Start with the D3000, put the rest away someplace safe for now. Use the 3000, learn it, and when you have it mastered then start looking at using the more expensive cameras. I think if your aunt had wanted you to have cash that's what she would have left you. Instead what she really wanted more than anything was for you to explore photography, in the hopes that it might spark something in you that she felt you might really need.

It seems only right that you should honor her last wish that way, at least give it a proper go. Just my two cents worth of course.

Why not donate the cameras to a high school photography class or some other place where they will get used by folks who can wrap their mind around them and continue your aunts love of photography like it appears she was hoping you would do, it seems you have no interest in them other than making some $$$ only my opinion though ???

I don't understand what the problem is with him selling the gear. He is keeping the entry level Nikon and selling the pro one.

Go on craigslist and see what they are selling for and sell the gear. Then buy yourself something in your love ones honor.

B and H Photo buys used cameras. They're very reputable. Used | B&H Photo

KEH is another but I don't know much about them. Others would have to vouch for them. They'll provide a quote on-line Sell Your Digital & Film Cameras, Lenses & Accessories - KEH.com

I would certainly vouch for KEH - I've done some business with them in the past (as a buyer, not as a seller) and they have always been very good to deal with. You could cetainly sell to either but keep in mind your not going to get anywhere near what market value is because they will still have to make a profit when they resell it.

Again, I'd recommend you put the pro camera away at least for a few months and shoot with the more entry level gear. See if you catch th bug and if maybe you might want to start using the more advance gear first before you go selling it off. If not, hey, no harm done - at least you honored your aunt and gave it the old college try and you can always sell it at that stage. On the flipside though if however you do really get interested in photography - well your going to be pretty happy to have the more professional level gear to play around with when the time comes.

Just my 2 cents worth of course, but that would be my recommendation.

I hope that you will keep everything she left you. I can understand how you feel. I guess most of us here love photography and we're sitting here thinking how we wish we were in your shoes. Some of us may never get the chance to get even a portion of the equipment you were blessed with. I have things that I kept from my maternal grandparents. No one has ever left me anything as nice as what you have though. I'm sentimental though. I love to bake as well. I have my Gram's cake pan and I smile and think of her every time I bake a cake with that pan. I lie to you not. I have 3 similar pans. I have baked my infamous sock it to me cake in all of them and it never tastes as good as it does when I use my Gram's cake pan. When she was alive, she loved to cook and boy could she burn. I'd always say Grandma this tastes so good and she would always say it was good cause she put her finger in it lol. I miss her so much. I do believe she left a little bit of her magic in that cake pan. Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope that you will find your aunt's passion for photography within yourself. Photography is amazing.

Sell it all or none of it. Why? Cause if you start to enjoy that D3000 and then later realize you had a 70-200 and D3s and sold you will kick yourself, HARD!

If you don't need the money I would venture out with the D3000 and see where it takes you before you make the decisions. Though I completely understand it is a large sum of potential cash and could be enticing.

Being a veteran (as I am) i'll assume you are a gear heard of sorts in a different arena. Let me tell you, photography is one of the most rewarding endeavors I have ever taken on. You create art that people enjoy. If you take pictures pf people the reward is pretty quick to see people light up when you get The Shot. It started on a vacation to Maui when a friend let me borrow his DSLR. That was about 3 years ago. Now I shoot for the local newspaper, shoot weddings and much more.

Your photos stay with you forever (hopefully) and that means at a minimum much better memories of the trips and adventures in your life to share with others. Glad to help you with any choice you do make.

Most reactions

Back