need advise with this photo please

tdmk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone , i need some help with this photo i have taken.
I am using Sony A7R2 with Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 lens and using Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 TTL on camera flash speedlight (V860II).
F 4 ISO 125 S 1/60 camera exposure -0.3 Flash Exposure -1
WB Auto shooting at 20 mm about 1 meter away with Apperture Priority.
Focus area : Flexible spot (Medium) ..shooting with on camera flash.
I move my focus exactly on her face but when i fire with the flash ..the photo is out of focus.
it looks like the flash make the face blur. It happens many times when i am using the flash.
Any advice why it happen when we are using on camera flash make the face blur?
A lot of time i do not realize it until i zoom it and see the face is blur .
Any advise is appreciated. Thanks much.

2.jpg

The focus in this image is on the building. Flash or no flash the focus would still be on the building.

Focus point should be a single point here on her. Any larger focus areas could get the building.
Are you focusing on her then recomposing or moving the focus point in camera?

If you are moving the focus point in camera this shouldn't happen. If you are focusing on her then recomposing ensure your auto focus is in one shot or Sony equivalent. If you are on any type of continuous focus as soon as you move the focus point to the building the camera will focus on that instead of her.

P.S. This is NOT beyond the basics.

Thank you for the reply . I am sorry i dont know which forum i should post because i am newbie here :) . Anyway I am using Flexible spot (Medium) focusing on her face and press the shutter button. It happen so many times when i shoot with a TTL flash the picture come out blur. I am not sure what is happening with the TTL.

F/4 is the problem... insufficient depth of field...f/16 or even f/22 would have been better.

Is Flex spot medium a sing auto focus point? If not switch to a single focus point and I agree with above you should use more than F4 to try and get both in focus.
Again this is not a flash issue. This is purely a focusing issue.

it looks like the flash make the face blur. It happens many times when i am using the flash.
Any advice why it happen when we are using on camera flash make the face blur?
A lot of time i do not realize it until i zoom it and see the face is blur .

The flash didn't make the face blur, here the lens was focused on the building.

What you are mentioning is a double exposure due to such a slow shutter speed and the use of flash--I don't see this here--this looks like a classic case of misfocus.

If I'm understanding the video I just watched when I Googled Sony AF flex, it's basically a way to set the desired focus point within the viewfinder, and the camera will actually track that subject once selected. The control wheel lets you move, and it looks like you can even size, the selection area. Once done, whatever's in that area when you hold the shutter button remains in focus, no matter how it moves about the frame.

Something's being done wrong, though, because as everyone has pointed out, it's the building that's in focus, not the model. You might be focusing on the model and then shifting the camera up to recompose, in which case you should not let go of the shutter button, but keep the half-press. Maybe the focus selection is too large and the camera still focuses behind the model, even when it's pointed at her, simply because more of the focus sensors are on the building than the model.

It may be that in setting the flex area, you're not setting it small enough.

Again, all of this is based on whether I understood that video correctly, as I'm not a Sony user.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back