need affordable lens

DooBr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok i am pretty new to photography and in my college photography class i found myself always leaning towards macro shots of textures and sometimes bugs so i need a lens that can do it from a little bit of a distance. so i was thinking a telephoto lens? i was looking at the sigma AF 70-300mm and the tamron A017 70-300mm. does anybody own either of these that can enlighten me a little? the sigma has pretty good reviews online for the price but i cant seem to find any reliable reviews on the tamron. also do you have any opinions on zeikos macro extension tubes or extension tubes in general? and if you know of any macro lenses that are not specifically for zooming from afar in the price range of 200 dollars that you could let me know about that would be sick. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270900159148?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know Sigma has a lot of focus issues lately so I’d go with canon. What body do you shoot with? If I were you, I’d get a Canon 100 macro. cheapest and gets real good reviews...

i have the eos 450d. and the problem is that the 2 that i posted are in the 200 dollar range while the canon is closer to the 500 dollar range. i am not looking to get into serious photogrohy at the moment im just trying to get a little more serious although im not that good yet. so for now im just looking for some nice beginner gear that will help me move up in the ranks.

Last edited:
That's a tough price limit to work with - you can barely get a decent set of extension tubes for that amount. The problem with the 70-300 zooms is that most of them (I don't know these two in particular) have a closest focus distance of about 5 feet regardless of focal length, so the best magnification of course is at the long end where the zoom is not at its best optically, and where it may be awkward working at this distance (imagine shooting something on the ground from 5 feet up if you're not over 6 feet tall). Anything you get will be a serious compromise of some sort. A set of close-up filters could be had for well under the limit, but they are not that great optically, although they will allow you to experiment and see what you want to do.

What lens(es) do you have currently?

right now i only have the stock lens. so thats why i really need something new. i really only take close ups so thats why im looking more into macro as the first lens i get

That's a tough price limit to work with - you can barely get a decent set of extension tubes for that amount. The problem with the 70-300 zooms is that most of them (I don't know these two in particular) have a closest focus distance of about 5 feet regardless of focal length, so the best magnification of course is at the long end where the zoom is not at its best optically, and where it may be awkward working at this distance (imagine shooting something on the ground from 5 feet up if you're not over 6 feet tall). Anything you get will be a serious compromise of some sort. A set of close-up filters could be had for well under the limit, but they are not that great optically, although they will allow you to experiment and see what you want to do.

well i looked at some pictures that someone took with the zeikos tubes and theyre not too shabby and theyre like 75. and i might be able to go a little higher on the budget like 3-350 maybe if i have to. what do you think a practical zoom would be? i have a tripod so working from a bit of a distance isnt too big of a deal

does anyone have any thoughts on the tamron 90mm? its well above my price range but i like the quality it puts out a lot and i might have to do a little saving if i cant find something cheaper

I have a old Canon EF 100mm (non USM) macro lens. And it not bad. Bought it used on ebay for a little over $300. (couple years ago). If you are planning to spend $300 to $400 on macro lens for shooting bugs, you should be able to find a decent one used around that price range whether it is Older Canon like the one I have. Tamron 90mm, Sigma 105mm or the Tokina version. They are all pretty good optically. I have seen a older Tamron 90mm macro lens sold less than $300.

Search around ebay, craigslist, B&H, Adorama, keh.com and some local camera stores used section.

Last edited:
As Dao said, in your price range, look for a used macro lens.

The alternative is a good set of tubes, which actually work pretty well and that's what I'd recommend you start with. There's also the possibility of using a lens reversal ring which is even cheaper. With that, a nifty fifty and a solution for lighting, you could be doing some pretty close macros, but you'll need to be very close to your subjects to use it.

Examples:

Sigma 180mm Macro lens:
Dragonfly_8227.jpg

Sigma 180 macro with 68mm of tubes on it:
Mosquito-7663.jpg

56mm of tubes on a 135mm lens:
135_N_56mm_test_shot.jpg

Lens reversal ring with 50mm:
ash.jpg

If *all* you want to do is macro and don't mind no AF and can work with auto-diaphragm, I'd suggest getting a good enlarging lens, an M42 adapter, an M42-M39 ring and either bellows or tubes or both. I use a Rodenstock Rodagon 50/4 primarily.

Kosher Salt
6734177085_ba108f77cb_b.jpg

Rice grains (with insect inside)

6567782921_089ec4f5d2_b.jpg

Dried rose

4278647594_f053286d24_z.jpg

Lava Rock

4121681671_2af553b33c_z.jpg

well i just bought a set of tubes. and that first pic taken by buckster with the sigma 180mm is SICK and that lens will definitely be a future investment for me. i want to look into the enlarging lens too though because im digging those pics youve got there as well unpopular

They aren't as easy to use, but they are extremely cheap. You won't get results like Bucksters, at least without getting an APO lens (which are used in scientific and industrial imaging applications, actually - see Rodagon Large Format Lenses - Edmund Optics ).

But bang for the buck, standard enlarging lenses are very effective.

Here is also some non-macro taken with my Rodagon at about 15mm extension:

Minimum Focus - a set on Flickr

yeah im still waiting for mine in the mail but from what ive seen you get a signifigant amount of bang for your buck.. but one of these days ill have a lens/skill that will get me something like bucksters badass bug up there

Most reactions

New Topics

Back