Need critical feedback for a noob

Pauky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m a noob to the forum and a super noob to photography. I’m still trying to figure things out, but having difficulty with the technical aspects of the camera, photoshop, and what they can do. I realized that I should only be shooting in RAW format to get a better post-process picture; does anyone else believe this?

I was hoping to get some critical and detailed feedback on my posted photos so I know if I’m in the right direction. I took these pics in some woods where I live because I don’t want to drive as far as I did the weekend before and all my pics turned out like crap. I figure I better get things correct in my backyard before I venture out. Does it look like I’m on the right track with the required rules of photography?

Please, provide as much detailed feedback as you can and don’t worry about hurting my feelings. I welcome all feedback and I appreciate veteran and pro opinions since I don't have anyone with the knowledge and skills to turn to (my better half tells me all my pics are good. You know how that goes :er: ).

Thanks a bunch!

bwfarm-small.jpg

ice-small.jpg

beercan-small.jpg

weed-small.jpg

feather-small.jpg

sky-small.jpg

It is really hard to critique more than one photo at a time. Also be sure to include the camera's exif or metadata found in the file info. Generally speaking looks like you have a good eye.

I love the first shot, the 2nd, and 3rd seem to have my problem with lack of being exciting of interesting. The 4th shot has great beautiful colors and bokeh, but I'd pick a different angle. The fith seems good with settings and such, just better composition as something seems boring aobut it to me as well. the last picture would look better without the bird, as it looks like you tried to shoot the bird and used a lens way off (maybe this is what you did) but that same beautiful sky pic with the sun and trees, would do nicely without a spec for a bird, rather just a pretty sky pic.

I like the composition in #1 but the rest don't do much for me.

I agree with some of what the other people are saying, i really do like the first one. But i also like the third one with the beer can. I see beer cans all the time on the side of the street in my town, mostly from teenagers throwing it there. Its so ordinary but the fact that it is cemented in the ice, like it would stay there for eternity, i just think is unique.

Hey, welcome to the forums!

I like your first shot a lot, but it seems way too overs-sharpened. I'm guessing you post-edited this one, no?

As for number two, it really doesn't do much for me. If I could figure it out that might help, though. :p

I'm guessing in number 3 that's ice? It's a nice idea, but the photo is a little blurry. I do understand that you're a beginner, but just for this one you might want to work on your focus next time.

I really really like number 4. The DOF is outstanding, as well as the colors. Nice job.

Number 5 is interesting enough, and nice and sharp, but the colors seem to not contrast at all, and the feather just combines with the tree. I suggest working on the color contrast for that one.

I also like your last photo. It's a bit simple, but the colors are great. A little crop might make it perfect.

Hope I helped! :mrgreen:
-Emma

Number 1 is the winner here, everything else pales in comparison.

No.2: cool idea ;), but you'll have to find some better angles, maybe put some DOF, changes in lighting throughout the photograph. Or find a more interesting ice formation. As it is, the picture is quite boring.

No.3: hmmm... okay...there's no story here... a can half encased in ice... what does that tell me? and for this picture, if it doesn't have a story, then it's kind of useless.

No.4: Nice DOF, very boring plant.

No.5: I can appreciate the attempt at creativity.. but there's nothing here.

No.6: It's okay... is that a bird or a dust speck? If it was a bird, you should have waited until it flew by. The reason is the previous sentence. Otherwise the picture is a bit too grainy, and I would have cropped a bit more from the right.

Hiya Pauky. Welcome to ThePhotoForum! :D

I have moved your first post to the General Gallery. The Photo Critique section is reserved for more serious critique and therefore we like to keep it to one image at a time...(see FAQS), otherwise it just gets too confusing.

Feel free to post multiple images in other parts of the forum...or to re-post your images individually into the Photo Critique section, with a bit of an explanation of the shot and what you were trying to show.

Thank you.

DOF = Depth of field. Which basically means the amount of picture in focus. Imagine you have a long tape measure going away from the lense. The deeper the DOF the more of that tape measure will be in focus. Shallow DOF means only a small part will be.

Try putting a tape measure on the table and taking a few shot with different aperture settings (this determines DOF) and you'll get an idea of what happens..

welcome to the forum!

well, your images certainy aren'T noob-ish :)

1: like it as it is.. maybe a bit dark in the bottom left corner, but not really spoiling the image.

2: good idea, but very hectic .... maybe something more like close up, or something with the line of view tilted (maybe shallow DOF) could solve that problem.

3: something strange with the colours here .. it is probably a good photo, but i do not like rubbish lying around so I am biased on this one :p

4 + 5: appear nice, balanced. however 5 lacks some sharpness, doesn't it?

6: nice and clean and interesting colour, i might have framed differently, maybe using a wider angle to include more of the tree though.

all just totally biased and personal opinions of course ;)

Most reactions

Back