Need Equipment Advice on Lenses & Lighting Equipment

underscorephotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently using a Nikon D70, and now that the D300 has been announced, I will likely pickup the D200 within the next week or pre-order the D300.

However, I really need advice on what kind of lenses would be the best bet for me considering my limited funds. I am currently using the AF-S DX Zoom Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF ED.

What I primarily want to shoot is portrait & live music photography for my personal work, and for my new job I need to do some commercial photography for large lathe machines and electric motors like what can be seen here:

LATHES: http://www.haascnc.com/prod/CNC_large/25795_lg.jpg
MOTORS: http://catalog.wegelectric.com/Fotos/wem_nema_3P_ODP_G.jpg
(These aren't the brands I would be shooting, but is for visual purposes on size, etc.).

I am more concerned about what appropriate lighting equipment and setup that more experienced photographers can recommend to light up the lathes (which can be as little as 15-25 feet long) within a budget of $1k or less (preferably).

As for lenses on the lathes: I don't think I need a wide angle for them, but what does your experience suggest?

The motors aren't small so I don't think I need a micro, but in what other areas would that be beneficial to have considering what I am outlining here.

For my personal work, I do a lot of live music shots in venues with the ****ty stock lighting to venues with large production lights so I need something versatile than can handle low light situations as well. I have made do with the 18-70, but it is very limiting and I have to be very close and intruding to get some of the action shots and close-ups. Can someone suggest a lens that would be appropriate. I am looking at the new 55-200 VR to make up the difference since I can't afford the 18-200 that combines the two.

As far as portraits and more fashion work, what kind of lenses would you recommend?

Any help or suggestions experienced photographers can recommend would be extremely helpful. I have been trying to figure out what can best fit my needs versus my budget, and there are just so many options that I am getting stumped the more I research. Plus, because my budget is so limited I can't afford to be wrong and buy something that cannot work for what I need it to do.

My Budget:

Lighting Equipment: $1k max
Lens Upgrades: $1k max

PLEASE HELP!!!

PS: If anyone wants to tear me a new one with critique on some of my photos, my online portfolio is located here: www.underscorephotos.com.

Just bear in mind that I am an amateur photographer looking to become more semi, and everything displayed is natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back