Need for Speed - Panning attempt

Diffuser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my boy for a few first panning test shots. He was excited at first, but when I kept asking: ... one more time, and faster, I need more speed! He slowly started to realize this is shifting from playing to hard work :lol:
Good fun though, but really difficult. Lot's of shots, this one stuck out to be the keeper.

Thanks for taking the time to share some experience!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D Focal Length: 70.0mm, Exposure Time: 0.0100 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/4.0, Focus Dist.: 7.05m, ISO Equiv.: 100, Exposure: Manual, Metering Mode: spot

NeedforSpeed.jpg

A good start; it's one of those things that just takes a lot of practice.

Thanks. Let's see when the boy is up for it again for more practice ;-)

FWIW.

Don't move your feet while you pan. Turn at the waist.

You still have to use good camera holding technique, with your arms in against your sides, one foot somewhat forward, with a majority of your weight on the forward foot.

Da Grip « Joe McNally’s Blog

ummmph, use a TRIPOD!

You might consider using a smaller aperture and longer shutter speed to. You would get better sharpness and could pan for just a little bit longer to make the streaks better.

It's not so much the speed of the subject, but the shutter speed the photographer uses. In your case, instead of 1/100s at f/4 with a focal length of 70mm, try 1/60s at f/5. It will give you the same exposure but the kid won't have to work so hard. I wish to emphasize what KmH states, proper handling techniques of the camera play a major part in all your photography situations.

Thanks for all your feedback! Noted! ;-)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back