Need good tripod head

Gimbal heads are wasted on a 70-200; I second gryphon's recommendation for the RRS head. Those are the best!

Is that as in wasted money wise or just purely for technical reasons?

Wasted as in un-necessary; they're meant for 400mm and larger primes.

The only reason I can see a need for a gimbal head for light lenses (and yes 70-200mm f2.8 is light) is if you were doing video work and wanted a smooth pan and tilt function - however there are dedicated heads for videography which, I suspect, allow a smoother motion - the prime intent of gimbal heads is to provide balance and stability for exceptionally heavy lenses such as 300mm f2.8 and heavier.

Sharp. I wanted that head exactly for video making and my photography because it looks so easy to use.

Hamlet; whilst I can guess the gimbels might work for it I've honestly never seen any videographer using them. They tend to prefer stable fluid motion heads that have long control arms for panning and tilting. Look into them as I'm sure that they will provide a smoother motion and far superior performance for video work.

Remember for video its not just about control but also smoothness of motion as you move the camera; something that for stills isn't as much of an issue because you're not worried about how "smooth" the follow is as much because you're only taking one single frame not a whole series.

Hamlet; whilst I can guess the gimbels might work for it I've honestly never seen any videographer using them. They tend to prefer stable fluid motion heads that have long control arms for panning and tilting. Look into them as I'm sure that they will provide a smoother motion and far superior performance for video work.

Remember for video its not just about control but also smoothness of motion as you move the camera; something that for stills isn't as much of an issue because you're not worried about how "smooth" the follow is as much because you're only taking one single frame not a whole series.

What type of head would be suited for video making?

What type of head would be suited for video making?
Manfrotto 504HD Fluid Video Head 504HD B&H Photo Video

I'll add that to my wishlist for when i decide to go into video making. For now i have settled on the SIRUI K-40X ball head for my photography.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back