Need guidance on loading 120 on reel

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am really struggling getting 120 on my omega, plastic real. I have some stainless too but can't figure those out at all. I have ruined the last two rolls of 120. One, I just got mad and gave up, the last one got over lapped and only like 5 developed. I practice for a while in light first but to no avail once in the bag. It's like the ends are real curled and don't guide right, no matter the film. I can feel when it isn't right so I take it a part and start over, over and over again. It gets stuck probably in the second rail is my best guess ...Really frustrating. Any tips to help me solve this dilemma?

With the plastic Paterson reels I first insert the edge of a business card across the entry points of the reel and then glide the film over the card and onto/into the reel. Seems to help keep the film from jamming on the reel.

In addition to the business card trick Compur mentions, make sure you're loading the film with the curve down (emulsion to the inside). I always found it helped to really 'tent' the film as I was feeding it in. The best suggestion I have is to sacrifice a roll and just practice. Steel reels take a bit more finesse, but once you get the hang of them, they're actually easier than the Paterson/Ansco style. Also, if you're using Paterson reels, make sure that the little balls which 'ratchet' the film into the reel are moving freely and not gummed up.

Been a lot of years past, but I much preferred the simple stainless reels to the plastic. I was processing 20-25 rolls of 35mm a week, with most of them usually reserved to the afternoon/evening before we went to press, so time was of the essence. With the plastic it seemed like I'd invariably grab one that had moisture and end up with it jumping track. Once I learned to spool the stainless it was faster and far more accurate. I practiced with a roll in the light until I could do it without fail, then practiced in the dark. The technique was to hold the reel in my left hand and the roll of film (just as it came out of the canister) in my right. I'd use thumb and forefinger of the right hand to bow the film, and hook it, then while continuing to bow the fill, use my left hand to roll the reel. The secret was learning the correct tension and bow, so that the film didn't jump tracks. I used a bag on occasion, but by and large it was easier to do in a darkroom.

With the plastic Paterson reels I first insert the edge of a business card across the entry points of the reel and then glide the film over the card and onto/into the reel. Seems to help keep the film from jamming on the reel.
Oh, good idea, not sure on my reels, have to che knit out. Thanks

Thanks for the tips. Gary went over some stuff with me as well via phone. OK, I'm getting my confidence back and repented for the nasty words that came out of my carnal mouth. Here is another solution I suppose, lol.
Screenshot_20181002-093625_Chrome.jpeg

As others have mentioned check the small metal bearing balls for proper motion prior to loading. if they are gummed up or simply wedged in the plastic they can damage the roll or prevent loading all together.

With the paterson reels, once in the grove the film should spool pretty freely. If its not this may indicate that the film is not loaded quite evenly or there is something wrong. In this case I stop what im doing. Open up the spool, put the film in the tank, close the tank with out the spool in it then turn the lights on and check the spool.

The stainless reels are also faster if you get the method down. I find the trick is to curve the film a bit, feed it into the clip then rotate the reel to take the film up all while holding it somewhat against my chest.

If you're 'practicing in the light', are you looking at what you're doing all the time, or are you trying to do it without looking? The latter is a better learning option.

You say the film is very curled. Are you using fresh film or something from the Kennedy administration?

If you're 'practicing in the light', are you looking at what you're doing all the time, or are you trying to do it without looking? The latter is a better learning option.

You say the film is very curled. Are you using fresh film or something from the Kennedy administration?

The later but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sparky. I tend to drift to images of me eating donuts

I've always preferred stainless steel reels and tanks simply because they use less chemicals. But I've used enough nylon reels to know that old film usually has too much curl for them. Perhaps try a steel reel?

Practice. "Tenting" the film to get it started on stainless. I dunno...it came naturally to me...

Keep at it. Don't get frustrated. Get it started right, and the process goes smoothly

As sparky indicated, when you practice loading 120 film, ya' GOTTA do it without looking! Otherwise, it does not teach you much, if anything.

Thanks for the tips. Gary went over some stuff with me as well via phone. OK, I'm getting my confidence back and repented for the nasty words that came out of my carnal mouth. Here is another solution I suppose, lol.
View attachment 163923

It says you are saving $999.95. What a steal...surprised you haven't ordered yet.

View attachment 163923

It says you are saving $999.95. What a steal...surprised you haven't ordered yet.
I did verbally to my local brick & mortar store. Its technically not pre order status yet but showing up on sites. I will be selling some of my APC Fuji stuff. Probably keep my XP2, 35 1.4, 55-200, and 18-55. Sell the rest.

Practice. "Tenting" the film to get it started on stainless. I dunno....
YMMV... I always found with larger film sizes that to get them to feed correctly, I had to pinch them a bit as I fed them into the reel. I'm sure like a lot of things there is more than one 'right' way, and as long as you get the film onto the reel without kinking it, and so that it's not touching itself, you've pretty much won.

I had a film reel loader for the stainless steel reels. It just clamped to the table and fed the film with the bend in it and the reel was held and had a handle to turn it and the film would feed on perfect every time. The same unit worked for both 35 and 120, just changed out the feeder sleeve and opened the reel holder as required. I always loaded film in a darkroom.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back