Need Hard Camera Case Advice, Please!

SummitPhotoNH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm an avid hiker and photographer, and combining the two is at times a challenge. Living and hiking in NH means dealing with a variety of elements and conditions, so when I hike with my gear I'm constantly worried that my camera will be exposed to moisture...or that it will get banged up if I take a fall. Plus, it's really tough to balance out my hiking gear and my camera gear in my bag.

I hike with an EMS Summit 5500 pack, which is huge - I keep a sleeping bag and other soft items in the bottom of the back, in the mid/center I keep my tent (a very small/skinny 3lb tent), some spare clothes stuffed in a dry sack, and my camera gear...which is usually in a cushioned lowepro case. I'm carrying a 5D Mark II body, a 50mm 1.2, a 24-70 wide zoom, and in its own carrying case a 70-200mm 2.8 tele. ...a few filters and thats it.

Hikes are multi day, 4 seasons, all kinds of terrain...

Ideally, I would love to find the perfect long and slender case to put in my backpack next to my tent...I don't believe that there is a properly made hiking bag/camera bag hybrid, so i really want a hard case to put in the bag...i found some by pelican, but nothing apealing in terms of dimensions. Does anyone have advice? Thanks!

Pelican is usually the brand to look at...but they don't have every size you might want.

A quick Google search should turn up some hard case manufactueres there are plenty of them. Most can be bought with pick-apart foam so you can customize it to fit your gear. You might also consider a foam lined soft case. Probably easier and lighter to pack and the amount of foam will determine it's protective qualities.

Personally, I don't know if the extra size & weight of a hard case, would be worth the benefits here. Sure, you don't want to break your gear...but if you take a spill hard enough to damage it while in a foam padded pack...then a damaged camera may be the least of your worries.

Also, having your gear insured can take a lot of the worries out of traveling or high risk activities.

I would also choose Pelican as a first choice.

Zero Halliburton makes a wide range of cases, but they are terribly expensive.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

Most reactions

Back