Need help about buying used dslr...

jmr014

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to go look at a Nikon D80 that I found in a classified ad yesterday. The camera is only a year old and he says that it is in perfect condition. I wanted to know if there is anything that I should pay special attention to (to make sure that nothing is wrong with the camera). Besides taking a few pictures and checking to make sure they look accurate, is there anything I should be cautious of. I have never bought a used camera before and want to make sure that I am not getting ripped off.

Also, the sale is just for a camera D80 body only, with grip, for $700. I imagine this is reasonable since the camera is around $900 new. Would you consider purchasing if you were in my position, or hold off and wait until a "black friday" sale?

Thanks for all of your input.

Get him to show you the shutter actuations count. Even though my camera is only a year out at my rate of usage the shutter will be dead before the warrenty even expires. This could give you a great bargaining point to get the price down since it does cost a bit to get the shutters fixed. I'm not sure how many actuations the D80 is rated for but if I had to guess it would be either 50000 or 70000.

The easiest way to do it is to take a photo in RAW and open the photo in http://drchung.new21.net/previewextractor/

Thanks, I will definetly do that. Is there a similar program for Mac OS X. I will bring my laptop to upload the picture into the program if so. Also, is # of shots taken my only concern when looking over this camera? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks again

Ok, so I talked to the guy with the camera. He has offered to drop it to $650 without the battery grip. I never planned on getting the grip and will be carrying the camera with me a lot, so I do not think I will need it. I rather spend the extra money on a good lens. He says that the camera has under 2500 clicks. Is this a good price for the camera even though it doesnt have the warranty. He says he bought it from B&H brand new last year, and the warranty just expired at the end of last month. Is there anything to look for when I meet him face-to-face. I've never bought a used DSLR before and want to make sure I am not getting ripped off. Also, how can I prove that the camera has the # of clicks that he says. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone

well if he is lying, which in my experience, most people are rather honest, if he is lying, i reckon the actual wont be anything over 5000 anyway

28% saving, not too bad. its up to you if thats enough for you

personally i have nothing against buying second hand goods, but if its for really expensive stuff, then id rather buy new. but thats jsut me.

if i were in your position... i dont think i would get it. but again, thats just me

Most reactions

Back