need help ASAP..please

jarhead2042

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i have a interview with my local newspaper for doing some freelance photography for them, there wanting me to cover football games and so forth, any pointers at all on what would be the best way to cover the games and what not would be greatly appreciated since i have no experience at all with photographing football

ok scratch that, ijust got another email saying they want it to be high school volleyball..i think the challenge just went from bad to worse lol

Well, what equipment do you have?

a nikon d3000, which i know will hate the low lighting with a passion, and since its inside i was thinking about using my sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 wide angle lens...only other lens i have is the lens that came with the d3000 and i hardly ever use it

Volleyball can be shot "ambient" on with balcony-mounted flash units triggered with wireless triggers. Volleyball is a speed sport...I have shot it at high school and NCAA levels...the "easy way out" is to stand behind the back line with a 200mm lens and shoot blocks and spikes as the players are within 2 feet of the net. That gives you a pretty easy focusing situation....try and shoot for a fast shutter speed, which will probably mean ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 at f/2.8 at 1/500 or 1/400.

Unless you are really proficient at high-speed focusing, I would not try to shoot volleyball from the side. However, some people, especially in Europe, seem to shoot volleyball from above, from the stands, which gives the photographer a good angle of view and a lot of possible angles and many different picture types, plus since the distance is relatively long, from the stands to the court, the focusing distances are easy to deal with.

***EDIT: Since I posted, you have posted,and I see you have a slowish Sigma zoom...that might be very challenging to shoot volleyball with.

thanks for the input derrel, your depth of knowledge is greatly appreciated:mrgreen:

I did shots of my daughter's v-ball team last year (not in it this year) and had great luck with ambient light. I just sat in front row (and discovered the need for a spotter since I wasn't looking outside of the viewfinder and got pegged with an errant ball) and "anticipated" by following the trajectory of the ball or when serving just tried to get the pertinent moment. Way cool shots can be had.

i just got done talking to the editor of the paper about this, from what i been told this will be the first year that they are going to allow flash's during the games. im just going to go with the game plan that they wont allow it and hope for the best. the date they have me scheduled to do this is next tuesday so after i get done with it i ll come back here and post the results...might try and find a game before then to get alittle practice before hand

Would this not be a good time/excuse to go out and get a faster lens?

a nikon d3000, which i know will hate the low lighting with a passion, and since its inside i was thinking about using my sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 wide angle lens...only other lens i have is the lens that came with the d3000 and i hardly ever use it

If thats all you have forget it if it is indoors

Should be possible to get okay shots in doors with that set up. Just crank up the ISO a fair bit. Youve got to remember, newspaper reproduction quality is usually pretty shoddy, so the grain wont be too much of a problem.

But yes..totally an excuse to get a faster lens me thinks :p 80-200 2.8 maybe!

Good luck!

Should be possible to get okay shots in doors with that set up. Just crank up the ISO a fair bit. Youve got to remember, newspaper reproduction quality is usually pretty shoddy, so the grain wont be too much of a problem.

But yes..totally an excuse to get a faster lens me thinks :p 80-200 2.8 maybe!

Good luck!

I wouldn't want to show at F6.3 at 200mm in some of the gyms in the UK, i'll shoot at F4 but then i'm using studio flash bounced off the ceiling

figured i would update you guys since you helped me out, pics turned out somewhat noisy as expected but the paper seemed to like them...liked them enough to give me a job for most high school sports with a possibility of full time reporter/photographer...i was going to upload a couple of the pictures but with the contract i signed with them im not sure if im aloud, from the way it sounds is they buy the rights off of me but my name stays with the pictures

time to get a fast 70-200 !

Most reactions

Back