Need Help before 8..

jonathon94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a prom shoot I'm doing tonight (unprofessional :thumbup:) and I'm all ready to go, but I have a question. Should I shoot RAW or JPEG? I normally shoot RAW but this is a 4 hour even and I only have two 8GB cards. Each Card can hold about 420-430 RAWs or about 1000 JPEG. I know RAW is much better but will I have to worry about running out in the shots in that 4 hour time span. Not only is this my first prom that I'm shooting, this is the first prom I've ever gone to.

Buy a couple more cards.

Take your laptop, and download off the cards you do have when you get a chance.

Everybody would say RAW is better. Then you can use Photoshop or similar software to churn out a jpeg to your taste.

Walmart should have 8gb cheap, don't cheat yourself of good practice. Or as Sparks said bring your laptop. Place it in the trunk fully charged. When there is a break in the prom, download your photos reformat your card put your laptop for safe keeping and good luck.

Buy a couple more cards.

Take your laptop, and download off the cards you do have when you get a chance.

I've thought about bringing my laptop but that would mean more weight then I want to deal with and I am looking at picking up another card.

Do the math here.. 2 cards, ~400+ images/card = 800+ images. Four hour event; that's 240 minutes... 800 images... that works out to three images/minute, or about one every twenty seconds. In the days of film, I might have taken ten rolls of 36, IF it was a major event, and that would have been lots. Shoot less, shoot better!

I usually think of memory cards as costing "about a buck a gig". So I'd expect an 8GB card would run about $8. It might cost a few dollars more or less, but that'll be in the ballpark. You're getting off cheap here... we paid a LOT more to buy and process film. As tirediron points out... this does seem like a LOT of images to shoot in just 4 hours. It's nice to not have to worry about running out of space, but I suspect you won't actually fill the two cards.

I'd stick with RAW so that you have better adjustment latitude and detail recovery.

Good luck! Have fun!

Thanks Everyone,

My mom picked me up another card as a just in case basis anyways. I have in in my pack but if I don't touch it, then I can easily use it on another event or in case I forget to wipe a card later. Thanks for your tips :)

If it's in a dark area shoot RAW, DEFINITELY. It gives you so much more flexibility with exposure and white balance that you may not have time to fix in camera in order to get the shots you want. I honestly don't think that you will run out of space with two 8GB cards. I mean, if you shoot over 800 pictures for a four hour event, well...that seems like quite a lot...

Some of the cards are more expensive depending on their speed. I would go with a speed specification of 6 on the card. Cards rated at a 10 are usually not enough bang for the buck.

Well everyone, I'm done.

Good News:
I only took 398 shots
many appear to be good shots

Bad News:
I had to do what I was hoping to avoid; use flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back