Need Help: Black Rapid RS-7 Attach Options

C4talyst

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm photographing a Tough Mudder this weekend and will spend 5-6 hours walking hilly terrain with a gripped D3100 and a 70-200 F/2.8. The Black Rapid RS-7 was recommended by a few so I bought one. I have since read some mixed reviews on the strap including nearly a dozen failures of some sort that sent pricey equipment crashing to the ground.

I've heard mention of some pro's using secondary attachment options for this sling, where they would either attach the sling to the camera body's normal strap mounts, or, would attach it to the tripod foot on the lens (as expected) and then use some secondary strap to also attach to the body's normal strap mount for added security.

Can anyone provide some recommendations for this? The event is this weekend and I'd really to find a solution matching one of the above options.

I'm photographing a Tough Mudder this weekend and will spend 5-6 hours walking hilly terrain with a gripped D3100 and a 70-200 F/2.8. The Black Rapid RS-7 was recommended by a few so I bought one. I have since read some mixed reviews on the strap including nearly a dozen failures of some sort that sent pricey equipment crashing to the ground.

I've heard mention of some pro's using secondary attachment options for this sling, where they would either attach the sling to the camera body's normal strap mounts, or, would attach it to the tripod foot on the lens (as expected) and then use some secondary strap to also attach to the body's normal strap mount for added security.

Can anyone provide some recommendations for this? The event is this weekend and I'd really to find a solution matching one of the above options.

I would just use the lens tripod mount. As for failures, I can't help but wonder how many of those were caused by user error, rather than equipment failure. It should not be difficult to rig a secondary strap to the body mounts if wanted... using any spare strap you have lying around.

not saying that failure is not possible,but I've never given a thought to a redundant system.I use a gripped D7000/70-200 and walked 2-2 1/2 miles with it yesterday.I do this pretty much every sunday,and maybe a mile on Saturday nights.NEVER had a problem.

I've been using mine for several years now. Never once have I had a 'failure', nor anything close..

not saying that failure is not possible,but I've never given a thought to a redundant system.I use a gripped D7000/70-200 and walked 2-2 1/2 miles with it yesterday.I do this pretty much every sunday,and maybe a mile on Saturday nights.NEVER had a problem.

Same here. I carry a D7000 with grip and a Sigma 150-500 (about 11 pounds total) frequently on mine with no problems at all. I do use the tripod shoe on the lens for the attachment point, and I usually hold things with my right hand so it doesn't bang around, but the R7 will handle the weight with no problems at all.

Ratssass... I am LOVING your sig... lol! Hadn't noticed it before....

Ok, thanks folks...feeling a little more confident now.

I would just use the lens tripod mount. As for failures, I can't help but wonder how many of those were caused by user error, rather than equipment failure.

They all seemed to involve the screw somehow working loose...for every mention of failure I found 10 people who said they couldn't imagine that happening to their rig, and that the screw was always nice and tight when checked.

Thanks for the recommendation on this strap in that other thread too.

The screw that goes into the tripod mounting socket has a rubber washer on it. I think some of the earlier versions of the R7 did not, and that is probably why they came loose. I've been using mine weekly for a couple of years and it has NEVER come the slightest bit loose.

Black Rapid now have a tether kit if you really want more security
BlackRapid Tether Kit

Just make sure that the ConnectR locking carabiner is well secured (the locking screw is tight)
Has I just experience it on my Strap, saw it in time before something happens. So now I check that it is screwed all the way once in a while.
BlackRapid ConnectR (CR-2)

Black Rapid now have a tether kit if you really want more security
BlackRapid Tether Kit

Just make sure that the ConnectR locking carabiner is well secured (the locking screw is tight)
Has I just experience it on my Strap, saw it in time before something happens. So now I check that it is screwed all the way once in a while.
BlackRapid ConnectR (CR-2)

Thanks Mipo, I saw that thing and couldn't figure out how it worked; just watched the video on their site though and I may order one. I hate having to watch videos to learn about products...would much rather they just include more descriptive info on their page.

Most reactions

Back