Need help choosing a camera please

Danparry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi ive been looking for a camera max price about $500 ive been looking at a canon sx540 and the canon sx60 the sx540 has 50x zoom and 20.3mp and the sx60 has 65x zoom with 16mp what would be the best choice for making canvas's from? the canvas sizes ide like would be roughly 70cm long x70cm wide also bigger if possible, Im only going to be using the camera for genaral photos landscapes and baby photos of my baby that due soon, just want to be able to frame some nice shots on canvas's, im open to other camera options aswell, I dont no a whole lot about cameras lol :) thanks dan.

Another recommendation to get either the Nikon D3300 or Nikon D3400 both very close and both excellent.
The sensor on these camera will be a huge advantage over the cameras you mentioned in your list with better dynamic range and much better low light performance., plus you can add lenses in the future if you want for specializing in other type of photography.

Ok thanks for your help, I will have a look at some, the only reason I mentioned the other cameras is because I was looking for a camera a little smaller in size, what size canvas's would I be able to make with the cameras?

Ok thanks for your help, I will have a look at some, the only reason I mentioned the other cameras is because I was looking for a camera a little smaller in size, what size canvas's would I be able to make with the cameras?

I think not too big. Up to billboard size is fine. Larger quality would suffer.

CANVAS prints do not require really high-megapixel captures. Why? Canvas is a coarse reprodution medium, and limits really fdine, fine details. Fine details that would show up on a smooth, glossy printed surface will be obscured by the coarse nature of canvas. Additionally, the printing place will have expensive printing machines, and RIP units (raster image processor) that coist $10,15,$20 thousand dollars, or more, attached to its printers. These can take a 3,4,5,6,8,10,12 megapixel image, and Up-rezz it to make the 70-cm long canvas prints people expect. I used to work at a studio where we printed 60-inch wide canvasses that we shot half-frame 35mm long-roll with a zoom lens and flash: today, I would call that the equivalent of a 5- to maybe a 6-megapixel image.

The secret is to get a good, crisp image to start with. Canvas prints can be made from fairly small files.

First, Derrel's advice is gold. He knows his equipment, he sells/has sold camera equipment. You're lucky he responded in this thread.

Second, the Nikon D3300 is a significantly better camera than what you're looking at and actually weighs less. That's b/c it doesn't have an autofocus motor in the body--it relies on the autofocus motor in the lens (so it saves weight that way). But the sensor size between the Nikon D3300 (or D3400) is significantly bigger/better than the two Canons you're considering. That means...better color, better depth of field, sharper images.

Most reactions

Back