Need help choosing a lens

saffron

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum (hi everyone!), and I'm also a bit of a photo novice. I have a Minolta Maxxum 5 - which is an ok camera for me - but the stock Minolta zoom lens it came with is kind of crap. I want to buy a versitile zoom, but I need help selecting one. I'm going on a trip to Europe next month, and I want a lens that I can use all day so I don't have to lug around a spare. I only want to spend up to $200, but I don't mind buying used for higher quality and lower price.
I used to have a Minolta Maxxum 7000, but I bought it used and it got old and stopped working. That camera took significantly better photos than my new one. It has a 50mm Minolta AF lens that thankfully works on my new body. So I guess I'm looking for something that's comparable to the quality of the old lens, but zoomy. :D
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Saffron

Not sure what type of mount your camera takes, I use the Tamron 24-135, a great walking around lens, $330 new. The Tokina 24-200 is a bit heavy but also a great walking around lens I think its around $200 new. I used both lens with satisfactory results.

im not familar with your camera system
but if you want to use that zoom 'all day' (handheld)
try and get one that has F3.5 as its widest aperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back