Need Help Choosing A Vintage Camera

ApertureChic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There,

I was thinking about buying a cool vintage/antique camera for my significant other for his Birthday. I would like something that looks pretty cool that he could put up on a shelf in his office and if possible I would like to not spend more then $100.00 on it. We are both currently Nikon owners.

Can anyone recommend any cameras? There seem to be soooo many out there. I thought it might be cool to get him a camera from the year he was born (1975) I discovered the first digital camera was invented that year however it is the size of a blender and looks like old computer parts with a cassette player strapped to the side lol.....

Please help

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Is it just gonna be a shelf queen or is he going to actually use it?

Shelf queen = Kodak brownie folding camera.. these look nice on a shelf and are pretty cheap.
User = old Nikon, FM would be a good choice IMO, and looks good on a shelf too. Plus you can use any non-G lenses you have on it.

example (this one's mine.. alas it's a shelf queen because they don't make the film size it takes anymore)

Kodak Autographic 2-C Jr. by bhop, on Flickr

and the FM looks similar to my FE, just doesn't have aperture priority..

Nikon FE by bhop, on Flickr

djacobox372

Reaction score
Website
djacob372.deviantart.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
For "shelf duty" I'm a big fan of folders with an art-deco flair. The kodak bantam for example, these go for less then $100 on ebay:

$bantam.jpg

An old press camera (speed graphic) with a flashhandle is also a great decorative piece--you could probably get one in non-working condition for $100:

$graflex_20061201_141925.jpg

If you want one from his birth year (1975), the nikon f2 was the flagship model back then. You might be able to find a rough one for $100 or less. I'd suggest attaching an old flashbulb flash to it for extra decorative flair.

$5056726879_51df4bfa9a_z.jpg + $bcb.jpg

Attachments

• $Bantam.jpg
    $Bantam.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Buckster

In memoriam
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I keep daily eBay email updates on the art deco Kodak Bantam Specials, looking for a deal on one. You find them for less than $100 on eBay? I'd love to have you link me to one! From what I've seen, they sell at more like $250. More if they're in really nice condition.

ambaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yashica Electro 35 GTN? 35mm rangefinder made from 73-77. The GTN is all black, the GSN is chrome. GTNs command a little more money, but are still well within your price range. They take a pretty good picture, if you want to use them, too.

Mike_E

Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Photos OK to edit
Look into old Russian rangefinders. Fed 2s or Kiev 4s are a good place to start. If you can find one that's already been CLA'd (cleaned, lubed and adjusted) that would be a good thing.

good luck

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
+1 for the FED 2. I got mine for about $60 in absolutely perfect condition, just CLA'd and with warranty, from hero4g (Andrey from Synoptics Camera Shop) on Ebay. And here are links to a FED 2 and a Zorki 4 currently listed by this seller who I highly recommend, having made multiple purchases from him in recent months. Both of these Soviet rangefinders are capable of taking outstanding photographs with their Industar 26 & 61 lenses.

FED 2 USSR LEICA Camera Industar-61 CLA WARRANTY MANUAL EXC | eBay

ZORKI 4 USSR LEICA Camera Industar-61 CLA WARRANTY MANUAL EXC | eBay

Here are my two Russian rangefinders for which I paid about $60 each.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland: about my photography:

FED 2 (1960)
DSC01423a900pix-2.jpg

Zorki-4 (1963)
DSC01436a900pix.jpg

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
These are on my shelf, cheap, and i still use 'em. You can get them cheap!

SRW_2513.jpg

This one was free but ruined once the RAT was inside heh

SRW_2719-Edit-Edit.jpg

djacobox372

Reaction score
Website
djacob372.deviantart.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
Buckster said:
I keep daily eBay email updates on the art deco Kodak Bantam Specials, looking for a deal on one. You find them for less than $100 on eBay? I'd love to have you link me to one! From what I've seen, they sell at more like $250. More if they're in really nice condition.

Working and mint they sell for $250+, but u can buy a non-working decorative bantam for as low as $100. Right now the lowest i see in the completed auctions is $125, but ive seen them sell for less.

Most reactions

New Topics