Need help choosing camera!! ASAP

Raian-san

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry guys but I have a day left to trade in my camera. I recently bought a D5000. I'm new to photography but knowing myself I will want more later on. Sooner or later I will upgrade, even if it's within 6 months. Yes I know I have to learn but I'm the type that want to have the best thing. I just want to have something that won't make me desiring to upgrade within a few years. The D5000 can probably do almost everything I need but later on I probably would want a camera with full frame and etc.

I bought the camera at a local shop and bought a 3 year warranty for 200$. I know I know but being it my first camera I wanted to be safe just in case anything happens to it. So I have around 950$ on this camera plus a few thousand for budget. I'm thinking of taking the insurance out and upgrade to a camera in the 1000 range. I'm looking at the D90, Canon 50D and the Canon 7D. Which one would you prefer or something else or what should I do? I want to buy some lens too especially f1.8 or so lens. Thanks guys.

I just want to have something that won't make me desiring to upgrade within a few years. The D5000 can probably do almost everything I need but later on I probably would want a camera with full frame and etc.
I'm looking at the D90, Canon 50D and the Canon 7D.
None of those cameras are 'full frame'. To get that, you'll have to move up to the Canon 5D or Nikon D700, which are significantly more expensive.

My advice is to keep your camera and put your money into lenses.

A lot of "I know" in there. So you should know to go the D700 route.

Okay damn should have done my research. Would you guys recommend getting the D90, canon 50D or some other camera around the 1000 range over the D5000?

Trade in your D5000 and go for the d3100 even that piece of equipment has more to offer then the 5000, if not wait awhile and go for a top notch rig like a D3 or D300.

I would get the d90. It has an internal focusing motor meaning you can use all the nikon lenses (with the d5000 you can only use af-s lenses).

Its also a prosumer level camera, so you get some extra perks. (more dedicated buttons, better sensor, etc)

I say keep the camera. I still pull out my D50 on some shoots because of the sync speed and it still takes beautiful pictures.wait for the full frame to come down in price it will happen this next 12 month period.

wait for the full frame to come down in price it will happen this next 12 month period.
May I borrow your crystal ball? Mine has been in the shop for years now waiting on repairs. It's really difficult to find a reliable technician these days.

upgrading is part of the journey! Just stick with your d5000, invest in lenses, then in a or so, maybe you can upgrade to the D90 replacement or even a D700 replacement.

Thanks guys. I just decided to stick to it and invest in some more lens and equipment. I didn't look at it a different way, when I upgrade to a full frame I can still keep this camera and use it for different occasion or give this to my dad because he love taking pictures as well. Right now I'm holding this camera back big time because my shots are not very good. Still reading and trying to use it everyday to get better. The past 3 days has been torture outside, 100 degrees so I can't go anywhere and I work at night.

Hope you guys can answer some question and give advice on my other thread Lens. I want to get some other equipment as well.

Clever decision. I got most of my glass while I had my first dSLR. If you stick with FX lenses, they will get you further down the road if you upgrade to FF.

A good source for anything Nikon is Thom Hogan. Just google him.

Okay new question since I returned my D5000. I'm meeting tomorrow for two camera. A brand new Nikon D90 lens kit $975 and a used D300 for 1050 with 18-55mm lens, uv filter and some small extras. I know I should go D300, what do you guys think? Or I should wait a little for testing on the 60D or D90 replacement?

Okay new question since I returned my D5000. I'm meeting tomorrow for two camera. A brand new Nikon D90 lens kit $975 and a used D300 for 1050 with 18-55mm lens, uv filter and some small extras. I know I should go D300, what do you guys think? Or I should wait a little for testing on the 60D or D90 replacement?

If your already spending that kind of money, then just wait a couple months and get the D90 replacement (D7000).

Thought you decided to keep the other camera? Id wait if I were you. Nikon is expected to release the d90 replacement soon. If anything waiting until that happens will save you some money on the D90, as people will drop prices.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back