need help culling!

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm pretty excited because I did my first paid shoot on Friday! I posted on facebook offering portraits or headshots at a low price ... ended up getting a request for a COUPLES shoot of all things (I've never done a couples shoot). I had to frantically read up some things on posing to get prepared.

I'm having some trouble culling down some images that are pretty similar to one another. I need help deciding between the similar shots - probably expression is the key differentiating factor. I would love any advice on culling down.

Let me know if you can help!

you may want to post some here for assistance
but everything - background (anything growing out of the couple due to the background)
lighting (racoon eyes, heavy shadows, etc)
posing
body parts cut off
could all play into it

Last edited:

Do you have this Public or Private ?
PageNotFound.jpg

I can't find any photos, either. Did you cull them all already?

Looks like you took a few shots within 30 seconds.
Nothing posed.

The background flowering trees OOF was nice.
You may want to buy a few books on posing & lighting techniques. There's a lot online, but I've found the books are in-depth helpful whereas nearly everything online I've seen just gives a couple tips at most.

The pros can give a lot more helpful tips.

My favorites are MA 8, MA 5, MA 2, and MA 9. Mostly because of expressions, partly because in some of them her hand is almost clenched in a fist and those are slightly more relaxed. I always like to see heads tilted towards each other rather than away.

When I'm culling, I put the two that are almost exactly the same (both looking at the camera, or one kissing the other, etc.) next to each other and flip back and forth and back and forth until I start to prefer one.

It would have been nice to see a little more variety in these. Like I said, the girl seems very uncomfortable with her hands, since one is clenched and one is spread too wide. If there were a few different poses, you probably could have gotten some that felt a little more relaxed. But I think the colors and lighting are lovely and flattering, and I'm sure they'll be happy with these.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back