Need help deciding on which camera - Yes again.

If you havent already, I HIGHLY recommend going to the store to try out the feel of the camera. I was planning on buying the D5000 but as soon as I went to a store to try them out, I preferred the Canon feel and layout and am now settling on a Canon XSi ($559)

No issues with Canon, except that I seem to read that majority of S3 camera owners have the shutter issue that I do and Canon will not fix it without charging the $150. My cousin bought the same camera because she like mine so much and it is just past a year and she is starting to have the same problem too. That isn't acceptable. I understand it is just one camera, but I am willing to try Nikon next.

Questions:
1. Buy a D40 or a D5000?
I've owned both cameras. The d40 is a great little camera and you would be fine learning on one, but it the high ISO and video capabilities of the d5000 are appealing to you, then go for that. Neither of these bodies have an AF motor in them.

2. If you had one lens to choose (for my use) which one?
- so far one vote for 35 f/1.8
- and one vote for the out of my price range 70-200 f/2.8 (not going to happen right away, but hopefully will be lens #2)

3. How does the 35 f/1.8 compare to the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6?
Also have had both of these lenses. The 18-55 is a nice walk around, but its a kit lens and you can only expect so much. The 35 mm is faster, gives off lovely bokeh, and will work better in low light situations. It is also much sharper than the 18-55 from my experience with the two lenses.

Ever consider a d50? Its also an entry level camera, but is considered by many one of Nikon's best entry levels. It is beginner friendly and has the built in AF motor which will give you a wider (and arguably cheaper) lens selection. If you get a body with an AF motor check out the 50mm 1.8.

I went to a store and held what they had available... Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Canon XSi and Canon XTi. They were very different. I personally like the Nikon and the D90 felt very nice to both my SO and I. I appreciate the Canon ideas and offers. KmH, I have been eying those in the BuySell forum, but thanks for the links.

The D90 is well beyond our abilities and right now we have a lot of expenses, we are getting married next weekend and we would like to get pregnant this year.

Everyone has been very helpful, patient, and very quick to respond on this forum. Thank you very much. I have narrowed it down to the following options available to us today:

D5000 (B&H) body only $600 or with 18-55 for $699
D40 (used on here) with 18-55, 55-200, and 50mm (manual) $600
D60 (used on here) battery, charger, 2 memory cards, battery grip, book & dvd's $400
D80 (used on here) battery $425

Will I really notice a big difference with the D5000 Gen II? If not, I am leaning towards the D60 or D80 because then I can pick up either a 35 f/1.8 for $200 or a 18-55 for $100 - therefore stepping into a decent camera for around $525- $600.

Thanks again,
Jason

I went to a store and held what they had available... Nikon D90, Nikon D5000, Canon XSi and Canon XTi. They were very different. I personally like the Nikon and the D90 felt very nice to both my SO and I. I appreciate the Canon ideas and offers. KmH, I have been eying those in the BuySell forum, but thanks for the links.

The D90 is well beyond our abilities and right now we have a lot of expenses, we are getting married next weekend and we would like to get pregnant this year.

Everyone has been very helpful, patient, and very quick to respond on this forum. Thank you very much. I have narrowed it down to the following options available to us today:

D5000 (B&H) body only $600 or with 18-55 for $699
D40 (used on here) with 18-55, 55-200, and 50mm (manual) $600
D60 (used on here) battery, charger, 2 memory cards, battery grip, book & dvd's $400
D80 (used on here) battery $425

Will I really notice a big difference with the D5000 Gen II? If not, I am leaning towards the D60 or D80 because then I can pick up either a 35 f/1.8 for $200 or a 18-55 for $100 - therefore stepping into a decent camera for around $525- $600.

Thanks again,
Jason

This has been said many times before, but all the entry level DSLR's are basically the same and its really the photographer and his/her knowledge of photography that decides the quality of the picture. In my opinion you should get whatever fits your hands and needs the best and then just learn, learn, learn; read, read, read. Good luck!

I have some research to do. I just got back from my parents and my Dad has the following lenses that he doesn't use
Canon EF 75-300 1:4-5.6
Canon EF 35-80 1:4-5.6
Canon FD 50mm 1:1.8
Tamron 80-210 1:3.8 1:4/210
Tou/FiveStar MC 75-200 1:4.5

Since I don't know anything about these I will have to research them to see if they are good lenses and can work well with Canon's dslr's.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Nikon, but now if any of these are good glass it may be beneficial to pick up a Canon.

Input?

Most reactions

Back