Need help deciding what camera and equipment to use/purchase

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone.

I am an aspiring journalist, but on the side, I'm going to be making a youtube channel.

My roommate and I will be shooting pranks, along with other videos. Rather than renting equipment, I figured it would be better to get my own equipment, take the financial hit now, and truly learn how to use a piece of equipment that I have in my own possession.

That brings me to my next question: What kind of camera and accessories should I be looking for?

I want to be able to shoot high-quality videos from a decent distance, and I was also curious about the best way to capture audio from a decent distance away. I've looked into wireless microphones, but I'm not sure what kind to look for. I've also entertained getting a separate audio recorder that has a microphone that can clip on, out of sight. I have no problem doing either of those.

My budget for this equipment is right around $300.

The cameras I've looked at so far:
Nikon P500 series
Nikon DSLR cameras

I appreciate the help. Thanks!

My roommate and I will be shooting pranks

I want to be able to shoot high-quality videos from a decent distance

Define decent distance!
I think you may be better off with several smaller cameras that are easily hidden rather then a camera with a big zoom lens that will draw a lot of attention.

GoPro cameras would be a good choice for a small camera you can hide. I've even seen where people have put them in the bouquet at a wedding.

I was also curious about the best way to capture audio from a decent distance away. I've looked into wireless microphones, but I'm not sure what kind to look for.

Don't go with the real cheep ones as the quality is bad.

My budget for this equipment is right around $300.

Your going to need to at least double that to get what you want.

Hi GBP - your budget is pretty low, but you may be able to do it if you buy used. First, the Nikon P500 is out if you use a wireless microphone. It doesn't have a mic jack.

Next, the best low cost wireless for this purpose is the $150 Sony Bluetooth ECM-AW3. Here is what it can do:

Next is the camera. The best, lowest cost camera with a mic input is the 720p Nikon P7000. It only has 4X of zoom, so you may have to be creative with camera placement. To get a camera with a longer zoom and a mic input for a wireless, such as the Panasonic FZ150, would cost a couple of hundred $ more.

You can get a manufacturer refurbished P7000 with a 90 day warranty for $198 on eBay. So, for a total of $348, a little over your budget, you would have a decent camera and mic. But you'll still need camera support, lighting and editing software to create watchable videos!

Good luck with your project,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay.

1) Get a palmheld camcorder. Much better for distances, and some random tripod. a Panasonic HC-V100M should be fine.

2) audio. If you have an iphone, ipod touch, or android device, get an iRig adapter and a lapel microphone. if you don't own any of those devices, get a lapel mic and a Zoom H1. Then sync the audio in post. It will be much better audio than anything in your budget.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back