Need help finding a good tripod

FallenFotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey I need help a new good tripod one that can hold a Nikon D200 easily and not break becasue of the weight like my old one did so ya i am wanting it to be in the range of $100-200 and that about my max so got any ideas?

Is that with the head or just the legs? I was looking at getting the Bogen Manfrotto 190xprob at about $150 for the legs. You can go with whatever head that suits your need just make sure it supports your gear with the heaviest lens you plan on using. There are tons of generics out there, but I rather pay and get the quality first instead of dealing with headaches later on down the road.

There's a few nice upper scale Velbon tripods as well. The D200 is heavy but it's not too heavy. A cheaper SLIK tripod would work if you take care.

However things start getting iffy if you have a D200 + battery grip + 70-200 + flash. I have been using my D200 on an old and I mean 40 years old Velbon for the last 6 months. It was incredibly borderline. D200 + lens is only just supportable. I would not recommend skimping. I just upgraded to the Manfrotto 055XPROB.

I justify it as, the equipment cost me $3000 all up so I'd rather spend the extra $100 over a cheaper tripod to make sure it all doesn't come crashing to the ground.

I just upgraded to the Manfrotto 055XPROB.

I had been searching for tripod advice because my old cheapo is failing. Thanks Garbz for the entry earlier this week you put in on tripods. I was set on the Manfrotto 3021BPRO legs and the 488RC2 ball head. After reading the specs and features I've decided to go with the your setup. Hope you don't mind! The 055XPROB legs are taller, supports more weight and acutally weigh less and I really like having the spirit levels for X & Y planes on the 488RC4 ball head. Another fine reason to use this site.

Most reactions

Back