Need help finding a tripod.

six-five-two

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Velbon CX-440 tripod just broke. The thing was okay but not all that sturdy.

So now I'm looking for a new tripod and I need some help. Here is what want...

-Cheap (under $150) (this basically excludes Manfrotto or Bogen)
-Sturdy
-Light (under 2kg)
-Geared center post (that goes up and down)
-Braces connecting all the legs and the center together (most tripods have this I am pretty sure...)
-Preferred level built in

I havent used any of these that im going to recommend but these are some that a magazine i have recommends, ill only give the ones under $150 and they say are good. Take a look at the manfrotto Modo, its around $120 or so. National Geograpic NGTT1 Tundra, check those two out. Oh also their both about 1 kg.

quote=six-five-two;954683]My Velbon CX-440 tripod just broke. The thing was okay but not all that sturdy.

So now I'm looking for a new tripod and I need some help. Here is what want...

Lets take this point by point.

-Cheap (under $150) (this basically excludes Manfrotto or Bogen)
Understandable, however I would suggest that you read this article first. http://www.bythom.com/support.htm. I am not suggesting you have to spend what is talked about here, but for a few additional dollars you could come away with a tripod that should give you good service for many, many years.

Yep.
-Light (under 2kg)
Light and sturdy usually means more money for better components that can do both jobs.
-Geared center post (that goes up and down)
Unless you are doing indoor technical work or studio work, it is better to buy a tripod that is tall enough without ever raising the center post. When you raise the head and center post you loose stability. If you don't have to do this the tripod remains stable. IMO you are better off with a center post that is removeable and can be placed in a horizontal position if needed for macro work, copy work and difficult shots.
-Braces connecting all the legs and the center together (most tripods have this I am pretty sure...)
Most budget tripods had braces. Better portable tripods usually do not. The budget tripods use center braces as the legs are usually just attached with some sort of cheap fastner and there is play in the connection. On a better tripod the head is subtantually built and the locking mechanism for the legs is in the head, not the braces. Reduces twist and vibration this way where braces will not do so.
-Preferred level built in
[/QUOTE]
A built in level is nice, but I would suggest looking for one in the head, not the legs. Mine has both, but I never look at the one on the legs. It is getting the head and camera level that counts, not the legs most of the time.

You might want to look at Amnovas stuff. They seem to basicly be Manfrotto knockoffs but several people seem to like their stuff.
http://www.amvona.com/?page=shop/subcat&category_id=89769b2f73d9d7e940440e867abba4d0

Good luck.

how heavy is the equipment? All tripods have weight ratings
how important is the equipment? Would youput $5000 camera on a $100 buck cheapo tripod....

$150 does not necessarily exclude bogen/manfrotto. Don't hesitate to purchase used... their tripods are extremely durable and don't have many parts that break (tripods are simply designs). My full height heavy duty 3001 with 3 way pan used with even my heaviest of cameras was only $35 at a camera swap. Yeh it was scratched up (more now) but who cares. It has served me well for 10 years now.

If you insist on new and don't have too heavy of an equipment, consider the "digi" line from Bogen/Manfrotto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428998-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_725B_725B_Digi_Black_Tripod.html

and

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/427320-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_785B_785B_Modo_Maxi_Tripod.html

Both are well in your price range.

I don't have any personal experience with Amnovas but people in this forum had good things to say about them. I almost purchased a carbon fiber tripod from them until I realized that it was just about the same weight as my current aluminum tripod... go figure.

Thank you for all your help. I am leaning towards the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I was looking at the Manfrotto tripods and I'm wondering... why did they make them with a ball head? Why didn't they just use the regular type (err no ball head..) I have tried using one before and it was a pain in the ass to make the picture level after you tilt it.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I was looking at the Manfrotto tripods and I'm wondering... why did they make them with a ball head? Why didn't they just use the regular type (err no ball head..) I have tried using one before and it was a pain in the ass to make the picture level after you tilt it.

That is one of the favorite combos of many photographers. You can buy many others. My choice is this one.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353324-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

Or you can just buy the legs and put on the head you want.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...tto_3021BPRO_3021BPRO_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

Lots of options. I just pointed the way to one popular, well made unit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353320-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__3021BPRO_Tripod_Black_with.html

This is the one I am most likely going to get. Will hold a good amount of weight,etc. Not in OP's inital price range, but thought I would throw it out there as well. If you're going to do it-do it right the first time. They will last a long time if you get a 'good' one the first time-:)

ryyback,

If you have a chance go take a look at that ball head before you order. I have never used it, nor have I ever seen one other than on B&H's page, but from all of the posts I have read, it seems to be a smaller ball head that is better suited to monopod use where the 488 is a larger version that is better suited for tripod use. Also if panning is a requirement the 488 has an independant panning control where the 486 has one control for both. Just a thought as I stated before, I have never seen or used it.

I am pretty new to the photography world, but I just got an XTi and I needed a better tripod that my cheapo $20 one. Someone mentioned Amvona earlier and I would recommend it. Just this week I received the tripod that ordered from them and it is great. It is heavy (about 10lbs), but it is rock solid and the biggest thing for me is that it goes to a height of about 78 inches (I am 74 inches). It is a knockoff of Bogen/Manfrotto, but for $60 including shipping I cant complain. I definitely recommend them.

I actually didn't go with what I wrote up above-:)
I was in London, Ontario yesterday and stopped in at Henry's and got--

MANFROTTO 055CL BLK CLASSIC TRIMINOR
MANFROTTO 222 JOYSTICK BALL HEAD 202-220
LOWEPRO COMPUTREKKER PLUS AW BLACK

This tripod will hold 13LBS or so and head is so cool and will hold 6 lbs. The bag was well--I needed it-:)
Haven't had time yet to play with it, but it seems pretty sturdy- I am a 'newbie' as well, so it might turn out that I might take it back, but at least I am somewhat close to do that-rather than having to resend back to B&H-:)

Can someone tell me why ball head is so much better then regular ones? I tried it before and it sucked.

Sorry for bumping.

I actually looked my my local camera store and found a sturdy, and somewhat cheap tripod. A Velbon Sherpa 200R for $100. It was moderately light and is VERY strong.

Even though I didn't follow any of your recommendations, thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Back