Need Help Getting Started

JEazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright most of you have seen my work and know that it isn't too bad. I want to start selling my photos to magazines like be a stock photographer but I have no idea where to start. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, cause i've been stuck for a few weeks now.

I don't know much about working through stock angencies, but I'd suggest getting your website linked all over the place as much as you can. Particularly sites that rank high on the search engines when people are using keywords that pertain to the subject matter of your photographs.

For a start, you might check out photographersdirect.com. They're different from most stock sites that give you a dollar or two per image (I'd avoid those like the plague). They work as a medium between customers and photographers, and take a commission (20%) when you sell an image to someone. The most I've made off one image is $1200 while the least is $60, if I remember correctly. Give it a try.

You could also become an assistant to a photographer in your area, and build your portfolio.

Or you could go to photo school.

Have you looked through the most recent Photographers Market book? See if your library has one you can borrow. Or, if you're really serious, I bet it would be a good investment. I checked it out and looked it over and even though I'm not interested in doing that sort of photography at this point, I thought that the book had a lot of useful information.

Most reactions

Back