Need help in buying my first DSLR

olasitha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I'm so new to this site. So bear with me, if I'm posting a stupid question.

I love photography. I haven't followed any courses on Photography, or what so ever, but whenever I travel here and there, I get so many photographic events, but the only lacking thing is, I don't have a good camera to capture them.

Around my house, there are so many squirrels, rabbits, snakes, lizards, you name it. Practically, it's like I'm living in a jungle. I keep some food for these animals, and birds, and my Nikon S3100 is no where near to capture them while keeping a distance from them. I also like Macro photography as well.

I'm planning to learn more about photography and develop my skills as a photographer as well.

So, I like to purchase a good beginners DSLR for now, so I can capture all these beautiful nature scenaries, as and when I see them. I'm ready to spend any amount, and I need your kind help in buying my first DSLR with appropriate lenses, tripods, flash guns, etc. for a great journey in photography.

I like to know your comments, recommendations, any advice(s), etc. for this scenario.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum. You have specified the type of photography you want to do. Have you a budget in mind and are you happy to buy second hand. With these details tou may get more suitable advise

Before you do anything MY advice would be to go along to your local camera club for a month or so and talk to peole who have the same interests.

No one can tell you what is best for you, for me a Renault Grand Scenic is the best car, probably not you.

All I can say is that this is what I do

snowdrop.jpg

baloon2.jpg

Img_6741.jpg

JPEGImage12419940.jpg

Image1-4.jpg

From High speed to macro to wildlife

I use a 60D with Sigma 120-400 lens, but have other cameras and lenses.

You say you are ready to spend ANY amount then in the same breasth say a BEGINNERS camera, what do you want to do, spend any amount or get a beginners camera.

If you know anyone with a dSLR, ask to try it out. Ask the person what they like about it. Ask them about their lenses. 'Better if you can try out different models / brands?

If you know someone that has a bunch of gear and is willing to let you try / borrow it, maybe get a camera body that fits their gear? It might let you try out different lenses or flash units so that it can help you decide how to expand your system down the road?

But . . . getting a beginners camera ain't that bad an idea. The "beginner" cameras from Nikon and Canon are really capable cameras. Get the right lens on it and you can get pretty good results. And the money you save can be put towards nicer lenses and a flash unit. When you've built up your kit, and learned to really control the dSLR then the body will just be ripe to be upgraded to a better camera.

Go to a store and put a canon in your hand and then a Nikon and see which one feels better. They have different feels to them and one will probably feel better to you. Probably a Nikon D90 or a newer D7000 and whatever the equivalent canon is.

I agree, Check out your local camera stores and get what feels right in your hands. Maybe rent a few to see what you like best. You have a wide range of what you like to shoot and most likely will need several lens to do all what you want.
Welcome and good luck to you

Go to a store and put a canon in your hand and then a Nikon and see which one feels better. They have different feels to them and one will probably feel better to you. Probably a Nikon D90 or a newer D7000 and whatever the equivalent canon is.
I recommend looking at features and functions. Humans are very adaptable and have good manual dexterity so the feel doesn't really matter all that much.

I have used all kinds of cameras in the last 30 years - TLR's, SLR's, DSLR's - and feel has never been a significant issue.

I prefer the performance and functionality of Nikon equipment these days.

Most reactions

Back