Need help in choosing a camera brand (newbie photographer)

clu5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So hi everybody. I've always admired photography when i was young and now next year i'll be starting college and studying photography in school. My school requires me to furnish my own DSLR camera and i'm having trouble choosing. I've never had experience in DSLR cameras and have no real knowledge of the difference in brands. What i'm asking is for some experienced users to help decide from either Canon, Nikon, or Sony. I know that one brand is not necessarily better than the other, and each have pros and cons but how to people pick which brand they want. I'm looking for a brand i can stick with and invest in. I'm really excited to here your thoughts, Thanks. :mrgreen:

The correct answer is Goto a camera store and handle all of the cameras in your price range, which one that feels best is what you choose. All of them in the same price range have similar features. I use Sony, Olympus and Fuji cameras. All have their strengths.

Brands are all about user preference. As far as model of camera, you will get better suggestions if you post:
What is your budget?
What do you like to shoot?
Hobby use or do you plan to do more?

The following is all in my humble opinion. And this is only my second post on this forum, so if I step on toes, please cut me some slack. I'm not looking to stir up any religious wars.

• Canon has a better lens selection than Nikon. This won't be an immediate problem, but it might be later for certain purposes. Compare lens families. You won't yet know what you'll get into taking pictures of, so this is just for future reference. However, switching lens families is tough (read: expensive) once you've acquired a lot of glass for one kind of camera.
  • Nikon camera bodies have better ergonomics than Canon. Handle both of these brands' bodies to be sure, though. This is very much a YMMV issue. Try others. Nikon and Canon are the 800lb gorillas, but Pentax, Olympus, Sony, and others have been around a long time as well. Why have they survived if they suck? Someone likes them. Check them out.
  • Your first lens should be a 50mm equivalent. Learn to deal with the basics before dealing with zooms, wide angle, telephoto, whatever.
  • If you're a poor college student like most, forgo additional accessories for now. You don't yet need that big flash unit. Nor do you need that expensive tripod. I've been out of college a long time, but I just ordered a $90 tripod and splurged on a $100 head for it. I could have stuck with the two tripod heads I already had and saved $$$. Starting with a $300 or $400 tripod would be pointless and only get you used to thinking that "expensive" is the only way to go. Don't go there. Photography is often about making due with what you've got on hand.
Maybe a good way to start would be to speak with your prospective professors. What do they think you need to start out with. Make sure to find out what their biases are so you can take them into account. Does this prof feel that Canon is The Right And Only Way? Or Nikon? Or Pentax? Maybe they've already sent you a note regarding minimum specs? As asked above, what's your budget? Maybe used equipment is more likely to fit. There's a lot of it out there, and it's not all worn out! There are good deals to be had if you look.

ive got about a good $2000 dollar budget to work with and i plan on shooting just about everything, as since im just starting out in this, my classes will explore all types.

Contact the class instructor/school for guidance.

You have plenty of time to do your own research.

It is said that Nikon designs cameras for photographers. Canon designs cameras for Canon's marketing department. :lol:

Last edited:
The following is all in my humble opinion. And this is only my second post on this forum, so if I step on toes, please cut me some slack. I'm not looking to stir up any religious wars.
  • Canon has a better lens selection than Nikon. This won't be an immediate problem, but it might be later for certain purposes. Compare lens families. You won't yet know what you'll get into taking pictures of, so this is just for future reference. However, switching lens families is tough (read: expensive) once you've acquired a lot of glass for one kind of camera.
I tend to agree with pretty much everything you said...however I believe it's important to mention that Nikon lenses almost always have an equivalent Canon lens and vice-versa...Nikon might not have a few equivalents that Canon has but then again so does Canon...

When i was getting ready to buy my first DSLR, i went to a camera shop and played around with Canon, Nikon, and Sony cameras. Basically from what i can tell (and put into account I'm still a noob myself) is that the main difference between brands is ergonomics and lenses. Each brand has a camera body that can pretty much be compared to another brands camera body, they each have their own answers to their competitors product line. At the end of the day, its all about what kind of lenses your going to want to use, and which camera feels right in your hands, that to me is the biggest difference in these brands.

Contact the class instructor/school for guidance.

You have plenty of time to do your own research.

It is said that Nikon designs cameras for photographers. Canon designs cameras for Canon's marketing department. :lol:

Uh, WRONG, KmH: the correct phrase is, "Nikon designs cameras for photographers. Canon designs cameras for end-users." [end-user is engineer-speak for poor,dumb,witless dunderhead, using the product.] :lol:

I should also mention that i plan to use alot of natural light more than flash

My advice on these types of situations is pretty much always the same. Only a few important factors. Most of the rest is just marketing crap.

1. What do your friends shoot with? If you have any friends who shoot with a DSLR, go with what they shoot with. They can offer support, let you borrow gear, and you can learn together.

2. What feels better in your hand? The ergonomics are all different. Each manufacturer puts things in different places. For me, a Canon just feels backwards and my hands rebel against holding a Sony. Nikon just fits me. Everything is where I want it, and it just works for me. Canon shooters feel the same about their cameras. Sony users just don't know any better, but it's not their fault. :wink:

3. What do your local shops support? Swing by your local camera store, figure out what batteries, chargers, lenses, flashes, etc they keep in stock. A couple of times, I've been saved on a shoot for the next day because my local store had something in stock I needed. Like, absolutely needed. One time my charger died on me. Couldn't charge my camera battery. If I had to order it online, I would have missed a shoot. Instead, I swung by the shop, picked one up, and everything worked out fine. Local support is important.(which brings me back to my first point, if your friends can offer a support network, it can be invaluable).

As far as which one is 'best'...well, I would say the Nikon D3s is probably the best camera on the market with regards to the big manufacturers, but you aren't going to be buying the flagship model. You are going to be buying a entry to mid-level consumer camera. At that level, it just doesn't matter. They are all about the same.

Really, the decision should be based on the 3 items I mentioned above. The specs at that level just aren't different enough to matter.

If money no option yes the d3s is the weapon of choice.

But whatever fits your hands and feels most comfortable, is what you should choose. If it feels comfortable your going to want it in your hands more.

I'm invested in the Sony/minolta and olympus systems for a variety of reasons.

I like jostling with others about camera choice, however I have seen amazing photos from each brand of camera and lens including sigma, tamron and tokina. He'll even bower manual focus lens can get great photos.

Anyone who says use canon because that's what the pros use are posers. They probably keep it in auto all the time anyways.

Good luck and you will always be learning.

If you find a way to tell which photo was taken by which brand, let me know. :)

If you're serious about photography, I would go for Nikon/Canon. If not and you're just a hobbyist, feel free to pick any brand you like.
Not saying that other brands suck, it's just the number of available lenses/accessories/service centers etc.

The number of lens choices for Sony are just as many if not more than the big two.

If your serious about photography learn to use your gear.

Just because it's not canikon don't mean you can't take photography serious.

Nikon tends to put the controls that a photographer uses the most where they're easiest to use, Canon puts the easiest to market options out front.

Canon has a few more choices in lenses but frankly if you have any experience at all 99,999 times out of 100,000 a step or two up or back (the old Sneaker Zoom) will save you the price of those extra lenses. I haven't shot many Canon lenses but Nikon rarely makes a dog of a lens, they are either good or great.

Nikon also will actually auto focus to the point that the photo is really IN focus. When you come to the understanding that all light is natural and the difference is in how much control you have over the source you will appreciate Nikon speed lights too.

If you have $2000 to spend I'd start with a used or (preferably) reconditioned D90 and a 35mm f1.8. Then I'd call your prospective University and find out what the work load is going to be like with respect to lenses and get what you need to get you through the first year.

Good Luck

mike

Most reactions

Back