Need help learning the Post-Processing Basics

Your donut box image is so far removed from your poppy shot that it looks like two different photographers shot it....I like your poppy shot, it has a nice mood and although the color is over saturated it still works. What CA gave you is one way ...I like levels better so "mess" with it ... but keep notes because a month from now you will not remember what you did to get the effect.

Haha thank you, but none of photos are mine. I'm just trying to replicate the same kind of effect..

Read the book "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" by Katrin Eismann.

If photography was a religion, this would be its bible.

I bought it from my local Barns and Nobels book store.

If your looking for a great tuitorial go here
Best Photoshop Professional Retouching Techniques | Simplified | Homeforgeeks

You ask for a place to start, and this is it.

The book gives you info that you must learn before getting into high end photography like what you are after. The book also goes into some of the techniques that you are looking for.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but Tone, Contrast, Exposure, and Color is the core to any photo. You must learn how to correct all of these before moving on to professional retouching.

Hey there, guys!
I just stumbled over this thread because i saw it in my flickr-stats. I shot that second photo with the poppy in the cornfield and just wanted to let you know, that you can get some of my Photoshop-Actions on my website. Some are free, some are for sale, take a look at it:

Sandbox Studio Photography | by Christopher Wesser

Moreover, i'm offering the PSD for this photo for free on my website in the "Photoshop Packages" section.
of snowfall and cinnamon i'm made (osacim) 23/31 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
(someone also asked about that processing.)

I hope, this helps you guys. I'm keeping this thread in my favorites, maybe i can help a little bit more ;)

best,
Chris

Read the book "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" by Katrin Eismann.

If photography was a religion, this would be its bible.

I bought it from my local Barns and Nobels book store.

If your looking for a great tuitorial go here
Best Photoshop Professional Retouching Techniques | Simplified | Homeforgeeks

You ask for a place to start, and this is it.

The book gives you info that you must learn before getting into high end photography like what you are after. The book also goes into some of the techniques that you are looking for.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but Tone, Contrast, Exposure, and Color is the core to any photo. You must learn how to correct all of these before moving on to professional retouching.

Thank you for the tips! I will defiantly look into that book.

Hey there, guys!
I just stumbled over this thread because i saw it in my flickr-stats. I shot that second photo with the poppy in the cornfield and just wanted to let you know, that you can get some of my Photoshop-Actions on my website. Some are free, some are for sale, take a look at it:

Sandbox Studio Photography | by Christopher Wesser

Moreover, i'm offering the PSD for this photo for free on my website in the "Photoshop Packages" section.
of snowfall and cinnamon i'm made (osacim) 23/31 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
(someone also asked about that processing.)

I hope, this helps you guys. I'm keeping this thread in my favorites, maybe i can help a little bit more ;)

best,
Chris

Hi Chris!
I'm so glad that you came across this thread!
I've been following your work for a while now, and I really got inspired by your stunning work.
I've used your PS Action, and I love it.

I just was wondering how to get that same kind of creamy feel using PS (Levels & Curves)
Just would like someone to guide me through the first few steps..

I also bought a 550D just because you have used it with the 30mm, so I got inspired and bought one as well. :)

Cheers,
Mark

Well, as already said before, it's a mix between the right light, the right camera settings and the right processing. Nowadays i'm shooting full-frame with a 5D Mark2 and a Zeiss-Lens, which is a huge difference to the 550D (which is still a great camera, so don't get me wrong!)

In Photoshop i use the Curves only where necessary. I prefer working with fill-layers, it works better for me and i can achieve great effects with that but i think everyone needs to find his own "best way"

Well, as already said before, it's a mix between the right light, the right camera settings and the right processing. Nowadays i'm shooting full-frame with a 5D Mark2 and a Zeiss-Lens, which is a huge difference to the 550D (which is still a great camera, so don't get me wrong!)

In Photoshop i use the Curves only where necessary. I prefer working with fill-layers, it works better for me and i can achieve great effects with that but i think everyone needs to find his own "best way"

Your absoultely right! For as for photoshop, I agree with you. Curves is probably the most important tool by the looks of it.
Thank you for your help Chris!

Most reactions

Back