Need help making decision!

Hibiscus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I found 2 " used" lenses to buy locally.
one is the sigma 50/1.4, the other is the canon equivalent.
both of them are new and being resold 3 months after original purchase for various reason.
prices are fairly reasonable: 360 for the sigma, 320 for the canon (cad).
which one would you pick? It is for a canon sl1, to take portraits indoors.
many thanks!

Both are good but the sigma is quite big so the fact it is for an sl1 I would take the Canon in this instance

I am a believer in camera company glass, I would go with the Canon lens.

I've been pretty happy with my canon version of that lens that I got at Christmas.

I don't really know how Canadian dollars compare to USD or the hassle of getting one from the US, but $320 for a LN used version is a little high, IMO.

Thanks a lot for your answers! I didn't think about the size of the lens, good point!
the canon lens retails for about $430 before taxes at bestbuy ($490 with taxes). Maybe it is cheaper elsewhere.
it is probably cheaper in the US, but I'll be paying taxes anyway, and I am not sure canon has an international warranty.
but thanks a lot for helping me make my decision!

The Canon EF 50/1.4 is a pretty nice imager, it really is. The Sigma is a massive lens for any 50mm design, but it is highly regarded by people who like a 50mm lens. On the Sl1, it would no doubt be a pretty front-heavy and likely unbalanced, tiring lens. The thing is, the Sigma 50 is NOT targeted at Canon 50/1.4 users--it's targeted DIRECTLY at Canon's 50mm f/1.2-L's prospective buyers, and the Sigma beats the Canon 50/1.2-L in several metrics, most notably much lower CA in the Sigma. If you look around on the web, there are some 50/1.2 versus Sigma 50/1.4 head-to-head comparisons, and it makes you wonder why the Canon is so poor and the Sigma so much better...

Ooooh, did not know that!
well, I think the 50/1.2 is quite out of my league (budget wise and probably skill wise too!) so maybe I should stick with the canon 1.4?!
i tried the canon 50/1.8 last week I think, and I didn't like the flimsy feel I had. I heard the 1.4 is much better in all sense actually, so I am willing to pay a bit more.
thanks Derrel for your input!

and it makes you wonder why the Canon is so poor and the Sigma so much better...
Well. The Canon has 1.5% distortion to the Sigma's 1.7%. Although the Sigma has better Vignetting wide open, at F2.8 and above the Canon performs better. The CA performance is clearly better on the Sigma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back