Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As luck would have it, this image which was supposed to be left on the cutting room floor got included in the client's proof gallery and it turned out to be the one they like. I cannot in good conscience put this image without the door without doing something to make the shadows a little less like the image was created by a monkey with a Holga...

I would like some guidance on the ways to reduce the contrast between the highlight and shadow areas of the jacket..

Shadow.jpg

Have the shadow take the cigarette out of his mouth and get out from between the light and your subject.

I would give the client my sincere apologies for my mistake having that image in the proof gallery.
I would invoke the clause in my contract regarding my discretion on image choices and explain there is to small a chance I could edit the image so it still meets my standards.

OMG!!!!!! IT'S JAMES DEAN!!!!!!!!!!!

All fair comment, however I would just as soon avoid mentioning that I've made a rather elementary blunder, assuming I can produce a respectable image.

Custom brush with a shadows bump in lightroom is where I'd start. Might take a wee while to get the mask refined enough. Or in photoshop it may be possible to use luminocity masking to separate the tones by luminance and work on it from there.

Depending on the guy you might play it up and go with a James Dean look overall? :allteeth: Maybe custom brush in LR to dodge the shadow, and burn the jacket to even out the two, but the technique described by Dan Ostergren for dodging and burning in PS might work better learning men/Updated OP scroll down to his April 30th post

Whatever you do, don't forget to put his head back on.

As luck would have it, this image which was supposed to be left on the cutting room floor got included in the client's proof gallery and it turned out to be the one they like. I cannot in good conscience put this image without the door without doing something to make the shadows a little less like the image was created by a monkey with a Holga...

I would like some guidance on the ways to reduce the contrast between the highlight and shadow areas of the jacket..

Shadow.jpg

doh.gif

Yup, looks like Ysarex fixed ya up.

@tirediron thank you for posting this, it's been a learning experience, to discover that even the best can have their days. Done wonders for making me not feel so bad about my blunders, though I suspect my blunders still outnumber yours by a high margin.

@tirediron thank you for posting this, it's been a learning experience, to discover that even the best can have their days. Done wonders for making me not feel so bad about my blunders, though I suspect my blunders still outnumber yours by a high margin.
:lol: Don't be too sure about that... I do a pretty fair line in blunders!

Something like this?

Attachments

• Shadow.jpg
    Shadow.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 242

Most reactions

New Topics

Back