Need Help New to this

Tommy13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been interested in Photography for a while now, I have no experience but I do have a Nikon D3200 although it isn’t the best Nikon I would like to explore my skills. I recently decided to take on the Challenge of Shooting my daughter for her 2 year old birthday pictures and now I need your help with ideas on what I Should do to make them the best that I can. A little insight on the session she will be dressed in a Minnie Mouse theme outfit and the party will be Minnie Mouse themed she loves Minnie. The session will take place in the month of March and her Birthday is on St Patrick’s day I wouldn’t totally be against in corporate that into the picture somehow. The session will be held outdoors and I am open to any suggestions with poses or any ideas on how to make this turn out great. This session depending on how it will turn out will help me decide if I have what it takes to make it as a photographer. Please Help.

Fifty years ago, I was hired to install a storm door. It took me three hours and I totally screwed it up. If you are wondering what this has to do with your question, here goes.
A while later I could install one in half an hour, and better than most. Most skills are learned. You shouldn't let this one event be a determiner.

That old attage. LAST YEAR I COULDN'T EVEN SPELL EXPERT, NOW I ARE ONE STILL APPLIES

Welcome aboard. I think you will find some really good advice on how to make your pics better here. I think something that may help is to take a few shots of your daughter outside in similar setting and lighting conditions to what you expect and post them up for a little friendly C&C well in advance. Then try it again til you feel comfortable.

I might try to put a little less pressure on whether this shoot will make or break you as a photographer. I just started into all of this to get better pics (mostly for myself of my little guys), if I started using each "session" with the boys as a make or break, I would have had to revoke camera privileges on day one, and two, and pretty much every time I pick it up.:meh:

Exactly what oldhippy said, only you can decide if you have what it takes to become as good photographer, patience, practice, and most of all the interest to want to become a good photographer.

Thank you all so much for your advice. I didn't mean for it to sound as bad as it reads I guess. But if I fail this time I am not going to give up but I think I just want it to go so well that if I fail it will defiantly discourage me but wouldn't make me stop shooting. I am looking for help with ideas on how to make this shoot work looking for creative ideas. Again thank you so much for you input. Soon as I get some I will post for review.

You should try uploading some pics when you need help.

Take photos of her before the party and after she has napped or first get up, because the party is going to wear her out. Remember she isn't going to sit still very long, so give her something to look at or play with.

When opening gifts and taking pics remember that children will crowd around to look. I had to use a step stool at my little cousin's first, to get shoots above the older children watching.

Most of the parties have been under some kind of cover, so exposure can be an issue of being dark. Good luck. Happy BD to your daughter.

PS...might consider you will miss a lot of the party, because you will be to busy photographing it. Just something to ponder:)

Colours will make a big difference to the whole scene, although i'm not so sure the red and white minnie suit will compliment the green and white that goes with St patricks day, you might want to consider that if you plan on combining the 2 occasions,
Think about the background, Nothing too cluttered, but something that might look nice out of focus if you want your subject to stand out in the frame, that said you will want to use a fairly wide aperture in order to isolate your subject from the background and obviously dont position her directly in front of it, bring her forward a little so you can seperate her from the background.
If its a nice sunny day then try not to shoot midday, the sun will be more helpful lighting your subjects if its lower in the sky. If you want to get a little adventurous with the lighting then have the light coming from the side and use a reflector to light the opposite side of her face.
above all have fun and enjoy.

Posing children, or more properly; working around their idiosyncrasies, is not easy for any photographer, but try to be as ready as you can be.

You should practice, and it will be much easier without the child for the first one or two times. What you want to do is have a good look at the setting, including the background(s), the light, including where the light is best, and your optimum focal length(s). You should probably try to avoid direct sunlight and deep shade.

Use any handy object to represent the child or children. get or make some large reflectors, mostly white, and learn to use them. Whether you have a speedlight or not, practice getting some fill light on the subject.

Before the event, have the child so some posing for you, so she will not be wary of the camera. It works best in small sessions over several different days.

On the day, don't forget to get down to the child's level, watch backgrounds, and frame a little loose to allow for editing later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back